icon

problem, or unit itself?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Um, joel your not using flux for soldering pipes are you?  If you are you should stop!  It is not to be used on electrical!  If you use the proper solder you will not need any type of flux.
boymata 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Jeff.  What type of solder?  Is there a difference in wieght or brand like for example using a 16 gauge wire versus a 22 gauge wire?  I appreciate you and Joel and everone's suggestions.  When the weather clears and time permits, this will be a project.  I'll keep everyone posted.
thank you
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
60/40 rosin core electrical solder is great and will make a excellent connection on wires the thicker the solder tends to work better on thicker wires i use a medium guage solder that is a great all purpose solder.I have used radio shack solder and had no problems get it in the roll 60/40 is the percentage of the metals in it, but make sure it is rosin core that is for electrical connections without the need for flux.
joelr7309 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Player69  

Oh no I'm not using pipe flux,  it say on the container NOKORODE soldering paste, sorry bout that, let me make that  correction, but I believe it's meant for electrical wiring, not pipes, but it works great  without spilling all the solder on the floor, I think  JEFF had a great Idea about the about the cordless solder, alittle more expensive but very stress free,   thanks PLAYER, I keep that in mind,

CPGOOSE  H1/3 WHITE/ blue remote start (-) activation input,  Where did you hook this up?

Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure your flux is for electrical.  I have never heard of it and have been in the electronics industry for 10 years.  I worked on a truck tonight where the previous installer used the wrong solder  and probably used flux as well.  The problem with flux is it is acid and will corode the hell out of the wires.  This truck had the wires coroded 3 inches each way from the point of solder.   Not nice.  The wires pretty much need to be replaced.

I would suggest switching to a good 60/40 rosin core solder and forget the flux.  I have no problem soldering without drips on the floor. 90% of the battle is a hot enough soldering iron.  I suggest Snap-on butane model.  I posted a link to it a while back in the 12 volt install bay name 'tools of the trade'

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2002 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

Quote:  "CPGOOSE  H1/3 WHITE/ blue remote start (-) activation input,  Where did you hook this up?"

well, once again I remember the wire, but not really what I did with it.  I remember that I didn't hook it up to a pushbutton for "easy access to valet take over" as the manual says.  I believe if you don't use it for that, then you have to ground the wire instead.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong (or let us know if I'm right problem, or unit itself? - Page 5 -- posted image. )

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2002 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know if you can (or how) to remove the wire and the female spade connector out of the female relay harness?  I'm thinking maybe some of the female spade connectors are loose (no pun intended)....so I'm trying to either crimp them tighter or replace them.....but I can't get them out of the harness.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2002 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
if not connecting a valet takover switch then all you have to do is tape up and leave alone .There is no need to ground at all.
joelr7309 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2002 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  

Someone answer this question

For a Manual transmission 92 Integra, is there an (+) or (-) connection standard, that I can hook up so that the alarm know's it's in gear or neutral, or do I have to make up some type of micro switch or magnetic sensor to get this reading, I'm doing this for a remote start safety. So if I remote start the car, and it's in gear that it won't start until it's on neutral.

Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic