Nakamichi, New vs. Old?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
Old Components vs. New Components.
What is the difference between these two components? Is one better then the other?
Thank you
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
Also, which one of these subs is better?
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Nakamichi_SP_W1200D
or
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Nakamichi_SP_W124S
The S model handles slightly less power, but has 3Db greater sensitivity then the D model.
Also, I noticed that the D model has a paper cone whereas the S model has a poly/plastic cone. Now from what I've read, the paper cone is much more prone to distortion then the Plastic cone.. Is that the case here?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Paper / poly isn't quite that simple.  There was a good discussion on this recently at diyaudio.com, I'll try to track it down if I have time later.

I think in the end the right material might depend on your listening habits.  Do you crank the volume often?  How on-axis will your midrange cone and tweeter be?  Do you value cleaner sound at higher volumes or smoother sound at lower volumes?  How large of a bandwidth are you asking the speaker to play?

My understanding of the primary differences that CAN exist between paper / poly  is this:

1)  Paper - distort sooner due to the material not being as rigid, but has smoother / not extreme break up modes

2)  Poly - harder material doesn't distort as easily when pushed, but has more extreme break up modes

DYohn, Haemphyst, Steven, is this broad generalization correct?  Have I identified the main issues?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
i dont listen to rap exclusively. i like to crank rock/electronic. I listen to Hip Hop/Electronic/Rock, and some other random stuff sometimes blues jazz
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I am curious, have you listened to either one of those components sets yet?
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
? wrote:
How large of a bandwidth are you asking the speaker to play?
I'm thinking it would do well in a prted enclosure tuned to ~30~35Hz with a low pass filter.cross over @ ~250~500 would work well with this sub.
This is going to be a SQ install with the ability to produce adequate SPL when needed. Probably in the range of ~105~115Db.
Here is the rest of the system:
HU = Nakamichi CD 500
Front speakers = Nakamichi 6 1/2 component
Rear speakers = Nakamichi 6x9s
I havn't decided on an amp for the components or the sub. Do you have any recommendations?
As for the break-up issue:
HIgh performance Loudspeakers wrote:
The cone resonance modes may also be controlled by using a material that has a high internal damping. ALthough many cones are described as being made of paper, this material is more correctly specified as a dense felt, impregnated with a suitable stiffening agent. The loss factor may be varied at will, but it should be noted that the high frequency response extension will be strongly related to the amount of damping. With thermoplastic cones the polymer may be selected for its high damping coefficient (e.g. Bextrene, a polystyrene/neoprene mixture, or polypropylene with good self-damping) and may have an additional surface treatment or coating such as polyvinyl acetate.
HIgh performance Loudspeakers wrote:
The first breakup or resonant frequency fh can be described as
fh= 0.523* (T/Q)* sqrt(E/p
where T = thickness, a = piston radius, E = Young's modulas and p = density
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
No, I have never heard either of those component sets. I was hoping for somebody here to give a little inpput on them.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Don't you think anything over 120Hz is a little high for a sub low-pass x-over??
Paul
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

So, what was your conclusion on the breakup issue? 

Please include a link to where you copied the text from.
Also, I think the formula for fh was cut off somehow.
You should note that fh doesn't characterize the magnitude of the breakup.
What is the low pass cross on the nak xo?
6x9's in an SQ install? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
You said you don't listen to rap exclusively.  This means you do listen to it primarily, right?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

I asked because I have always respected Nak as producing wonderful decks and so so amps. I have yet to associate their speakers the same. This is not to say that those speakers will sound bad by any means, but using a speaker that you can listen to is very important.

I have listened to a limited number of nak speakers, but they were never particularly impressive.

I wonder if your motives for these speakers is to match the rest of system?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic