icon

2 volt vs. 4 volt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

Concerning the Eclipse quality and such...

I have the 8454 model in my car, my 2nd one. The first one had power supply issues, within the first week of having it. I took it back, replaced. The owner had NO trouble dealing with Eclipse on the issues that came up. This new one has had no problems other than the lens foggin because this state is f'ing cold with a lot of moisture. My remote start has since solved that problem.

Though on the I-Eserv thing, that is misleading... Right now it is worthless, it does everything the head unit does in the car. Now given in the future they are planning on expanding it, but for now, that is about worthless. (I called an even asked after I was done what it could do the HU couldn't, nothing.)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

Jakesmoke, this is something that most purhasers (especially young males) do not consider. All they look at is the cheapest price and the name. Sure the name can be the same and the product the same but the price different and this is where the "young male" buys his gear from. The other people do a little more research. Most if not all online sites are not authorized dealers for whatever brand of equipment you just purchased from them to save that $100.00. To you $100.00 is a huge savings and the other guys were ripping you off, fact of the matter is you are usually getting burned on the cheaper price.

This is due to the fact that the item may be a refurbished unit and sold as new, it may be a stolen unit, it may be a new unit from a authorized dealer sold through a unauthorized dealer. Lets pick on Eclipse for now as I know their policy on online purchases. You see a cd player advertised in a store for $500.00. A quick search online finds the same one for $380.00. You immediately think to yourself that the stores are scamming you and you tell all of your friends about it and post it all over these forums. (as was done here). So yu buy the unit from the online dealer and then the shipping bill hits you for another chunk of change in some cases. So the unit is working fine for you until all of a sudden one day it won't eject your cd. What do you do. The online store no longer carries the line and sure they can warranty it for you for the one year that they offer vs. the 3 years that the store offers on the same thing. So you send in the cd player to onlinestereooftheweek.com at your expense (more $ out of your pocket) and they can't fix it. Why? because they are not authorized to sell it and Eclipse will not warranty it for them. They will also not go out and spend their money to fix it for you. So they leave you with an option, we can't get that one anymore so how's about this Sony or Driftwood model instead. At this point intime you are pissed as it's been 1 amonth and a half and will take anything so out it comes to you. Is it what you payed for originally, no. Does it do the same things, no. Does it even sound the same, no. Could it be a refurbised item, yes. Could it not be covered by the manufacturers warranty, no.  All to save $120.00 at the outset.

So now you say well if it dies it dies and I can always buy another. Corect you can but when purchasing from the authorized dealer, warranty is never an issue, replacement with a updated version of the same brand is always an option, warrranty length is usually longer and you end up spending less money. With a sub it is even riskier. Look through the forums and see how many people don't recommend this or that brand as the sub bew on them, the forums are full of crap like this. Look a little closer at those who bought online to save a couple of bucks and had to go out and buy a new one as the "warranty" they had from onlinestereooftheweek.com did not cover what happened to the sub. SO you send your sub into the manufacturer (at your cost again) with your sales receipt and it gets sent back unfixed with a note that says "this item was purchased at a unauthorized retailer and we are under no obligation to warrranty it, we recommend you contact your dealer where it was purchsaed". The dealer is no longer in business or can't get the brand any more. Back to the same old issue. What if the box you made was specific to the sub, or the amp you bought had a custom rack made and the amp no longer inproduction, what do you do? You spend even more money again to fix an item that if bought at a manufacturer would have been covered.

When these items you purchased from discounttrailerparktrashaudio.com have issues or problems what do people do with them, they post stuff on the net in forums just like this and ask people like me, legitimate authorized dealers for advice. Once you are burned from an online store you will understand and unfortunately it is only a matter of time. The online stores cater to the "young males" and take full advantage of them and their buying habits. This is business to them and if they have to take advantage of the purchaser to further their goals, so be it. Here today, gone tomorrow - with your money and no warranty. My advice is always buy authorized and say no to Fat Chicks, Sony, Bose and factory audio system.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Good advice and well said, Rob.  Now if only the ones who would benefit from such advice were the ones who would actually read it!
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
Im a young male, and I read it!!! If someone takes the time and thought to write something that informative, I figure the least I can do is read it.
So far I bought most of my equipment from a local shop, although i bought my JBL 600.1 from sounddomain, which is one of the more up and up online retailers.
Im buying a new HU soon, and it will most likely be a Eclipse 5425 from my local shop. The three year warranty cant be beat and by now Ive been in and out of the shop enough that I know the guys pretty well, and its always better dealing with someone you know then it is dealing with a big company.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  

Read it... And I'm a young male... 

But then again, I'm always made fun of for how much I research my purchases (It took me 2 months to pick a cell phone carrier, and 6 months to figure out what kind of laptop I wanted for school). 
I agree with Rob.  If it's too good to be true, it typically is.  I always buy from reputable shops or stores.  The only online store I've purchased from is Crutchfield, and it will probably be the only online store I ever buy from. 
I've looked at stores like Woofers ETC.  and wonder how they even stay in business for more than 2 days.  Perhaps it's the new fancy logo, that shimmers.  Or maybe the USACI logo at the bottom...  People may fall for those gimmicks,  but you must understand that brands like Eclipse, JL Audio and Zapco don't typically support online stores.  And to buy from an online store who doesn't have an 800 number, or who uses woofersetc1@aol.com for their primary email address (and that IS their address) is quite reckless.  Not to mention, it doesn't even show that they have a secure checkout policy...
Pay the extra hundred dollars and buy from somebody who will take care of you!
And remember:
  2 cheap things cost more than 1 good thing.

~wayland
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
WAYLAND - "2 cheap things cost more than 1 good thing."
That more or less sums it up.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

I have to agree with you Rob, Wayland, and Nick.  I am a "young male".  I am not the typical one though.  I have done my research and am still doing my research.  The only thing i have bought online was an amp from Crutchfield.  I have bought everything else from my local shop.  I have bought a head unit 4 subs and an amp from them.  Plus the local shop will give you the warranty that no other place can actually back up.  There are a few bogus shops out there, you have to watch out for them, plus if they look like they don't know what they are doing, they probably don't.  I totally support my local shop and even though I have payed probably $300 more than I would have online, I have not yet had one thing I have bought break on me(all of my stuff has been out of warrant for at least 2 years).

Support Your Local Shop... It will help in the long run!

jakesmoke 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the info rob. i too have purchared most of my equipment with crutchfield, but they dont carry boston acoustics speakers so i went shopping around.i assumed all speakers are made at the same place, like china, tiawan, mexico,-just different vendors. when i saw that woofers offered a one year warrenty, and tweeters didnt say anything about a warrenty- not to mention the price difference-apparently i was mislead. im not a "young male"as you put it ,although im fairly new on all the technical and the vast array of difference in todays car audio. ive been putting in my own stereo systems for twenty some years now but lately have been making it a hobby to learn more about it all.in the "old days'  it was a supertuner, good 6x9s and a small amp and you were good to go.those days are gone with all the selection there is today. i appreciate everyones replies and like i said, im still learning.2 volt vs. 4 volt - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image. thanks again.

ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
Ive never had any problems with eclipse products of anykind. ive had them in my cars for at least 6 years and the only reason i have the newer stuff is just because ive upgraded. the people ive sold my old equipment to havent had any problems from then on either. the radio i have in my car now is going on little over 4 years of trouble free use. the onlything that started to happen was the track select ring rattles a little bit but i can easily fix that. until i get the money for their new 5v 2din nav unit im going to keep my 5441. even after i get the new deck ill have it as a keep sake. lol
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic