icon

Cassette HU

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NYDesi80 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

This is for another vehicle of mine (94 Previa) and not for the TL but I need to get a replacement HU because I just replaced all 4 speakers from factory to 5 1/4 Infinity Reference 5002i. I feel that the OEM factory paper cone speakers had better bass so I feel like my JVC HU is plain sh*tty.

Someone told me that Sony HU's are great for internal Bass, is this true? I'm pretty much game for all opinions, basically this is just a beater car so dont want to go too crazy with amps and subs, just a decent amount of bass, right now it sounds horrible (as if I have a bunch of tweeters hooked up).
I need cassette and CD so I'm going to just get a Cassette reciever and add a CD changer so please advise. Thanx!

The model I was told to get: Sony Xplod

And here is a Comparison Chart
After seeing the comparison chart, Sony seems to be the best, but from what I read here everyone hates Sony.. so I am confused now.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
Numbers only go so far. The abosulute best test is, your own ears. After working many years in the retail field I found sony to be fairly low in the sound quality and the over all quality of their products. a few watts of power will make absolutely no difference. listen then buy. but generally stay away from sony, in my opinion 
NYDesi80 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
WHat Head Unit produces the best internal bass?  (Obviously not subwoofer quality)
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Head units don't make bass...  Any head unit is capable of altering bass curves,  and head units with built in Equalizers allow you to change the bass signal even further.
In your case, what you probably need is a head unit that will put out more power to your speakers.  Since your options are very limited, the Sony you chose is basically the best option.  It puts out a little more power than the other cassette HU's on crutchfield,  plus sony has EQ3, which when set at the XPLOD setting will dramatically increase bass output.  It also has a decent frequency response.
Of course, as you probably know, if you want the best sound power, you should look at buying a cheap amplifier putting out 45 watts per channel (that's what the infinity's want)  or even a CD player with an auxilary in, so that you can connect a cassette walkman to it, and listen to cassettes that way.
~wayland
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have an Alpine (I can't remember what model) but it has the built in "Bass Engine" which really allows you to select the different frequencies for the different channels, it also has a stereo sub output with controls for that. it has it's own rudementory passive crossovers for mids and highs, also one for the sub.  So far out of any other HU I have used, it is the most versitile for adjusting your eq curve, but it still makes it simple because it has it's own preset frequency increments depending on the frequency pass.

I have always been a major fan of Pioneer, but since I purchased this HU, I am reconsidering.

I am sure someone out there will have some bad things to say about Alpine and Pioneer, but it is what I like, just like some people are Chevy lovers, some are Import lovers, some are Ford lovers, when in all actuallity they are all pretty good companies with some sutble and large differences.

My point is just as stated above, go to the store, play around with them and don't be afraid to push buttons until smoke comes out of them (but you probably shouldn't break unless you want to buy it, of course)
eh? what did you just say?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, <looks at things backwards> was the JVC driving the factory speakers before? If so it is not a head unit issue that you have, it is a speaker issue. Some speakers just sound different than others and some paper cone stockers I would leave in the vehicle before buying the name brand 2 or 3 ways with blue mica filled superlightweight cones with glowing leds and supertweeters that are aluminum coated and rotational and handle 600000 watts. To me it sure sounds like a speaker issue.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

If you are wanting more bass out of your new speakers you could have some of the speakers wired out of phase or you could simply just need an outboard amp. First I would check to make sure that all the connections to the speakers are the same (Positive speaker wires from the head unit are going to the same positive input on the speakers, and the same for the negative wires).

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I was looking at a Fit Guide for Toyota Previas.  It shows that it can accept up to a 7 inch cone for the rear speakers.  If your factory speaker was 7inches, and you replaced it with a 5.25 inch speaker, that could have an affect on your bass response. 
Another solution is buying some cheap 6x9 inch speakers and a Q-logic 6x9in box (about $30).  You can use the 6x9's in the back of the car as a replacement to the infinity's in the rear.  6x9's are pretty good at putting out low frequencies.   This solution allows you to keep the JVC (usually JVC has some decent products) head unit...
~wayland
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Best cassette deck available is made by nak. That's a no brainer.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
NYDesi80 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx for all the replies guys, someone else actually told me that my speakers might be out of phase.  And I know that I dont have cheap aftermarket speakers, they are decent, Infinity Reference 5002i's.  I went into the store and played with a couple of a headunits, and listened to the same music on 3 different HU's on the same 5.25 Pioneer 2 way speakers that the store had on the wall.  And it seemed that, the Pioneer sounded much cleaner and distinct in all (lows, mids, and highs) compared to Sony and JVC.  JVC was the worst and Sony was 2nd best.  And what is funny is that Sony had more watts going being put out.  So I think I'm going to try Pioneer now. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic