Cassette HU

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NYDesi80 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
Hmmm, <looks at things backwards> was the JVC driving the factory speakers before? If so it is not a head unit issue that you have, it is a speaker issue. Some speakers just sound different than others and some paper cone stockers I would leave in the vehicle before buying the name brand 2 or 3 ways with blue mica filled superlightweight cones with glowing leds and supertweeters that are aluminum coated and rotational and handle 600000 watts. To me it sure sounds like a speaker issue.

I'm pretty sure its not the Speakers because these speakers aren't sh*tty.  They are Infinity 5002i at about $50 a pair.  And also, the JVC head unit, flickers like crazy when I push the volume up. 

customsuburb wrote:

If you are wanting more bass out of your new speakers you could have some of the speakers wired out of phase or you could simply just need an outboard amp. First I would check to make sure that all the connections to the speakers are the same (Positive speaker wires from the head unit are going to the same positive input on the speakers, and the same for the negative wires).

Your right, someone else told me to check this as well, so I'm going to go out tommorow and check that out.  Thanx.

wayland1985 wrote:
I was looking at a Fit Guide for Toyota Previas.  It shows that it can accept up to a 7 inch cone for the rear speakers.  If your factory speaker was 7inches, and you replaced it with a 5.25 inch speaker, that could have an affect on your bass response. 
Another solution is buying some cheap 6x9 inch speakers and a Q-logic 6x9in box (about $30).  You can use the 6x9's in the back of the car as a replacement to the infinity's in the rear.  6x9's are pretty good at putting out low frequencies.   This solution allows you to keep the JVC (usually JVC has some decent products) head unit...

I think the Fit guide specifies the rear quarter panel in which there is a cut out for a subwoofer.  And that spot might handle that big of a speaker, cuz from what I recall, the fronts are 4 inch speakers and the rears were 5 inch speakers, and fitting these 5.25's was a pain as it is.  So I know anything bigger would not be possible.  The subwoofer compartment towards the lift gate however seems to have a cut out for a 6x9 and that is where I want to add a small sub if the change in Head Unit doesn't make things better. 

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Pioneer is a much better choice than Sony. I have a sony right now, as a temporary unit, and it's okay, as long as you listen to only one kind of music. Sonys have so many Equalizer settings, and sound processing settings that it's really hard to fine tune their sound. Pioneer is a better car audio company anyways.... So if possible, go the pioneer route, and only buy sony for their home theatre stuff
~wayland
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

first and foremost, yes indeed check phase of your speakers... sweep the balance control all the way to one side... how does it sound? sweep it all the way to the other side, how does it sound? now put it back in the middle... how does it sound?  if it sounds like you are listening to it in a wind tunnel in the middle position you have a speaker out of phase...

if however, they are in phase you may want to consider that forbidden/Rob had a valid point.... how did the OEM speakers sound with the JVC HU?   good?    then why blame the HU?

many people when replacing speakers dont take into account the different efficiencies of the speakers... a factory (OEM) speaker as a rule tends to be very efficient whereas aftermarket speakers ( especially better quality ones ) tend not to be..... it sounds like you simply need more oomph to now power these Infinitys vs. your OEM speakers and now you are finding that the JVC doesnt have that oomph.... it's not a fault of the HU per se..... many people going from cheaper, efficient OEM speakers to an upgraded speaker find that deck power suddenly doesnt do it anymore..... which is why a simple upgrade often snowballs into adding an amp, then a battery, then an alternator to charge the battery, etc, etc.....

if your Infinity speakers need a little more power to make them shine i dont see what swapping head units will do unless you plan on adding a power amp to that new head unit....... regardless of brand i doubt if you'll be happy simply running deck power....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Kgerry made another good point.  Quite often people become accustomed to their factory speakers, and the day they get newer ones,  able to replicate much higher frequencies, they think they sound bad.   How long have you been listening to this setup?  Did you just install it and realize it doesn't sound as "warm"? 
Factory speakers usually only sound "warmer" or seem to have more bass only because people aren't used to hearing the highs of the tweeters.
Also, just to throw it out there,  I've found Infinity speakers to be quite power hungry.  They like to use every bit of their RMS rating.  Plus, I think there's a 70% rule:  All speakers should be powered with at least 70% of their RMS rating, for best performance, and longer life (you can ruin a speaker by underpowering it, so I've been told).
~wayland
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic