icon

Multiple amplifiers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
949customs 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all, I'm new here, and have a question. I got a killer deal on 3 10 " Alpine Type - x's ( DVC @ 4 ohm). now I have heard that these don't like to be under powered, and they are rated at 1000W RMS each. what would you guys sugjest I use to power these subs????

regards, Mark

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
I think people just say they don't like to be underpowered as an excuse for why they suck. I had 1000 watts to my 12 and it was horrible.If I was you, I would make my amp desicion based on what I might wanna replace the type x with after it dissapoints me.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
949customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  

are you saying that the subs aren't good? because I have heard people say that they are great, and people say that they are crap

Mark

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
Mines for sale on ebay right now. IMO they suck. They sound ok if all you listen to is super low bass CDs. But as for real music they don't even reproduce most freq. They are the single most enefficient speakers I have ever seen. If you put 1000 watts to a speaker it should do something. Nope. Just barely. I bought a w7. I know it will do what I want. Plenty of other options too.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
949customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  

I really don't understand that. I had a set of Alpine's Type R's and they were great. I don't see how Alpine can make the Type R's so good for the price, but their top of the line sub is a POS... I just don't get that

Mark

oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
Me either my friend. 2 Type Rs ( or one overpowered one) will beat the crap out of a Type X. Alpine feels safe in letting their quality go to crap now because they know it will still sell in Bestbuy. Less quality + more output = more money. Simple economics. Its a corporate thing.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
TheSaint421 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

that really surprises me. Alpine has always been about quality.

The Saint

949customs 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

I see your point, but that's not Alpine's style. I have owned a fair amount of alpine equipment, right across the board; from amps to component sets, to subs, and I still find it hard to believe that they their top of the line sub is crap... but who knows.

Mark

oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Man up until recently I have sworn by alpine. Most of the equipment that I have had has been Alpine but now I find the need to mix and match. I'm not telling you to just trash it though. Form your own opinion definatly. It may be exactly what your looking for. It just ain't for me. The type X components ROCK! I love them. But the sub has left me dissapointed.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
To answer your first question though the MRD-M1001 is what I got for mine it is a complicated amp setup wise, but I am very happy with it. Don't get the new model (MRD-M1005) as it is another example of alpines quality drop.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic