the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Multiple amplifiers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

For a real world opinion on type X subs that have worked great, I recommend that you read up some info on www.canadiancaraudio.com on posts made by Defro or Defro13. He is in the midst of a system that takes on the Alpine X5 and has done numerous systems using the type X with great results. To try something once and fail is one thing, but to not give the sub the love it deserves is another. Give the sub some love dude, show it the money. Have a look at his thread in the general discussion forum about his Neon build up (with pics).

As far as the quality drop goes, I've seen pretty much all companies go down the crapper in my 18 years in this industry. The industry is in a race to the bottom, meaning who can sell it the cheapest to maintain marketshare, you get what you pay for. 

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
If you like the sound of the Type X, and you can get them for a good price, then dont listen to one persons opinion on them. If many people were chiming in on this topic saying they had bad experiences with the Type X, then you should rethink your purchase. But so far only one person has had a bad experience. I personally have never heard a Type X, although I have heard setups with a range of other alpine subs and think they sounded really good, the Type Rs are especially nice (just ask AlpineGuy).
As far as Alpine declining in quality, I actually think it has kept its quality quite well, even when being sold by circut city, I dont see that a switch to Best Buy will change that. Im more worried about Kickers quality declining once Circut City starts carrying the brand.
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
To answer your first question though the MRD-M1001 is what I got for mine it is a complicated amp setup wise, but I am very happy with it. Don't get the new model (MRD-M1005) as it is another example of alpines quality drop.

I am looking at the MRD-M500 and the MRD-M501. Which one would you guys go for? The only diffence is the 500 is older, and the 501 looks a bit different and has 50 more watts rms.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'm by far not the only person on this forum with bad type X experiances but I have also read of good ones. I'm not saying its a waste of your time to give it a try. Hell, you already have it don't you. Like I said, form your own opinions I just put mine out there. I really hope that your happy with it though. You should definatly put the thing in a ported box. And all 1000 watts to it. And the sub should be broken in. This is the first speaker I've seen that genuinly needs a breakin.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
949customs 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  

thats the thing, I can get 3 brand new X's for 200 bucks... so I don't qwant to shy away from them before I know what I'm turning down, thats all3

Mark

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

949customs wrote:
thats the thing, I can get 3 brand new X's for 200 bucks...

Just be sure to consider your overall cost.  How much will three amps cost you?  And alternator, batteries, power wiring, fusing, damping, etc. etc.....

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
Get one W7 or one brahma, It would be much more cost effective, louder and sound better.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
tnelson 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
I currently have two alpine mrd M1001s and two Type X 12s in a ported box. I'm not going to go into a long post about how disappointed I was with these subs. As stated by someone else earlier unless you listen to super low music all the time you won't be impressed. I am upgrading to a pair of 9500 15s   Honestly my old mtx 8000 12s sounded better (got louder) than the type x's to me.
949customs wrote:
thats the thing, I can get 3 brand new X's for 200 bucks...
What stevdart said. you would need 3 thousand watt amps say you stuck with the mrd m1001 $450(ebay price) times 3 plus alternator, battery,,etc
949customs 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

I can get those alpine amps, (1000W) for 199 each. as I already stated I have a 250 amp alt, and 0 guage wiring running through my car, but thanck for the imput, I think I will got with a JL combination rather than the Type X's.

Mark

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

Mark, before your decisions are made based on the input from this forum, did you take the time to follow the link I gave you?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic