icon

2001 cavalier stereo Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
e40water 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought 2001 cavalier, I got the stock am/fm radio in I want to add a new aftermarket cd player, Ive installed a alot of cd players in older cars without air bags, I am just wondering what should I keep in mind while installing this aftermarket cd player,  I know I need the mounting hardware kit, for the and I am planning on buying the wiring harness for the after market deck, I dont like to cut the wires makes more of a mess in my opinion.

Anyone with any tips?

Thanks in advance. :)

e4
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

Take your time, the entire top dash must be removed before you can get at the center bezel area around the cd player. DO NOT try and force the bezel around the cd player, you will break it. My guide list this vehicle as in need of the head unit relocation kit as the vehicle is equipped with the Class II databus system. Do not get scared by this, it is simple. Buy the proper harness, www.scosche.com model#GM06. This harness plugs into the factory molex up front and then is an extension lead molex to move the factory radio to the rear of the vehicle. The factory head unit is required to maintain the integrity of the Class II databus circuit. Place the radio on the side of the car in the rear quarter panel on the opposite side of the fuel filler as that side has more room. It will fit behind the factory trunkliner with a small bulge. It should be held into place with some backstrap. Mount the suppled speaker that comes with the GM06 somewhere upfront, add the GM1583 kit and MDA1 antenna adaptor and you are pretty much good to go. If you want the new radio to go on and off with the ignition and not the door, the red wire on the aftermarket cd player must be wired to the pink wire in the main ignition harness where it comes down the steering column.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

http://jbody.org

search there for instructions.

MECP certified installer
e40water 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

So all I need model#GM06 for the wiring harness, And GM1583 kit and MDA1 antenna adaptor, Then the mounting hardware panel for the aftermarket stereo to attach too, Well guess that sums up my questions.

Thanks guys :).

e4
e40water 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

Ouch I got the relocation wiring harness Damn its quite expensive. Ok  I am planning to install my stereo this weekend, So as you were saying that old stock stereo has to be mounted in the rear area oppsite side of the gas filler?. I am pretty sure I will have no troubles doing this set up. I just want to make sure I got all the tips in place.

e4
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
It is pretty straightforward, just take your time. There are screws at either end of the dash hidden behind pop off side panels that must be removed first. Next a screw in the top center vent to pop off this panel. Under it wil be two more. Under the dash on the drivers side in the instrument cluster are two more. In the glove box IIRC there are about 4 and two bolts way up and in there. These all must be removed first. Take the dash out of the car. Now you can see the balance of the screws that are holding the radio bezel into place.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
you dont need to go thru the hassle of relocating a radio... that was the old school way before they had a proper interface.... use the Metra GMRC-01 and off you go......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
e40water 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  
Well...... I need to know if I am needing this BHA2004T GM w/ class  2 databus system 2000-2003 24pin Relocation Harness, Cause Once I open the bag I am unable to return it back to the store, I am aware that the front dash and where the stock stereo bezel has to be unscrewed, I am just a little confused on the relocation . The stock stereo has to be used? the New wiring harness replaces the old one? I just need info reloaction step? Any detailed steps would be great.?
e4
e40water 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
2000+ factory radio replacement info
(if you have a pre-2000 car.. this info doesn't apply to you)
If you have a 2000+ Cavalier or Sunfire, then your factory head unit/radio/cd player/stereo/whatever is a CLASS 2 unit. Class 2 radios are wired differently than anything most stereo installers have dealt with.. and there's a LOT of misinformation out there about them.
If you replace the factory radio from the car with an aftermarket unit.. and you do not use a relocation harness or door chime module.. you will lose your factory door chimes and OnStar (if you even have it). That's it!
Removing the factory deck from the vehicle will NOT affect:
- Airbags
- Keyless Entry
- Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
- Cruise Control
- Oil change light (J-cars don't even have one!)
If anyone tells you otherwise.. THEY ARE MISINFORMED!
If you want to keep your factory door chimes and/or OnStar... you need to either relocate the factory deck using a T-harness or replace the factory deck with an aftermarket chime module for the chimes and OnStar speaker.
If you don't care about the loss of the factory chimes.. you can buy a cheap aftermarket harness and hook up an aftermarket deck. You don't have to spend $100 or more on a T-harness to relocate the factory deck.
(Of course.. you'll also need a deck mounting kit.. and a GM antenna adapter..)
This is the info I dug up off a website site. I guess I am not needing this relocate T harness?
e4
spineshank 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Im trying to do the same thing. Install an aftermarket head unit into my 2001 Z24. Problem is i cnat find the ignition wire. I have it down to 2 wires. One is black (yes i know the ground wire is black but there are 2 black wires and the other one is the ground wire). The other is grey. Apparently the previous owner had one in as well because he taped the harness colors to the wires so you could match em up. Problem is that whatever he taped the red wire to fell off the wire. I did order a Haynes book as well. Also i do not have a pink wire like earlier stated.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic