icon

what rotozip?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stuntjester1 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Im new to the forum, been reading up. And going to start my first projects, i have a dremel and all the main stuff for building. I did many normal MDF boxes. But ready to step up to the next level. Sick of having to find some with a rotozip to use. Just want to see what everyone has, what model good ones, bad ones. im thinking the rotozip revolution combo with the circle cutter, since that the thing i need the most. What you think. Hope to have a good fiberglass time in the next couple of weeks.
stuntjester1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
or is a hand router better to get??
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have a roto rev. like you mentioned and I am more than happy with it.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
M&mfabrications 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
I would recommend buying a router. I have both and never use my Rotozip now that I have a router and a circle jig. MDF is pretty tough for the small bits of the rotozip to cut and it is easy to cause them to flex while cutting.
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, it takes forever to cut the rings with a rotozip.....
WTB: Black Leather Acura GSR seats
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Unless you have a really high power, high rpm roto zip, I would suggest a router, its just way nicer, might be a few more dollars, but worth it.
stuntjester1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
yea but how much is a jig for rings? and what brands are good. i was planning on spending like 100 bucks on a rotozip combo
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
You can make a cirle jig. Theres a post somewhere here that describes it in detail. I guess I didn't read the second question, but I would say have both if you plan on doing alot of this stuff. If your strapped a roto-zip will do the job, and I use mine all the time in conjunction with my router.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

i have both, ,if you have a few hours to cut a circle have fun with the roto zip, , if you want a perfect circle in 5 min, get a router.

The roto zip bit flex's and end up doing the same quality cut as a jig saw in the end. . but for fiberglass box's, its perfect for trimming.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
Plus with the router you can also do your flush mount rings, with rounded edges.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic