icon

interior rattle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
O.K this is tickin me off! last summer I tore the interior of my car apart and covered every exposed part of the metal with dynomat. today I installed my new eclipse da7122 amp and 2 12" eclipse subs. they rock, crystal clear, however, the interior pannels rattle at 50 hz so bad it sounds like cr*p. is there any material that i can add to the back side of the pannel to help solve this problem? I was thinking of carpet padding or rubberized undercoating. before i decide i need some opinions and sugestions from my peeps. help me Obe Wahn Kenobie...your my only hope!!
All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
I've used the brush on truck bedliner. Never use the stuff in a truck bed but it works wonders for killing vibrations. It can be a tad messy so be careful. Tape off the front of panels first that way your safe. Mostly just use a light coat where the panel touches anything else. There may be a better way. I'm not sure. But that will work. Honestly I don't think you'll ever get rid of all the rattle.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

I did the exact same thing with my truck, but I didn't put back in any plastic panels.  I'm going to use spray glue to cover the Dynamat extreme with carpet padding and then glue auto carpet on top of that.  So between all 3 layers, I should have almost no noise in my truck and no rattle either.  Those plastic panels in my truck were dark blue and my truck is red, so I gutted the inside to make everything red and black to match the outside.

interior rattle -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
i use caulking in the cracks and seams and a dynomat alternative on the flatspots...u can use tar on bolts that u probably wont have to take off any time soon to keep them from loosening up.  that pretty much makes a rattle-less car, its just the things like the rods 'n' stuff in the doors for the door locks and stuff like that which rattles, but that might be fixable with a spray on undercoating material, might not kill it, but will lessen the noise a lot more.  also make sure youre wiring is secure or that too could find something to vibrate against, but the bass might be loud enough to not hear stuff like that anywaysinterior rattle -- posted image.  but just a bit of advice, if u have supports that are tacke welded to a panel or something and dynomat didnt fix that, then adding layers wont help, thats when u need to uload a pile of caulking in the cracks and seams.
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  
   Definatly the wireing is a problem as are the dome lights and over head compartments, placid, did you use the dynomat alternative on the roof, if so, how did it stick? thats the only place i didn't get to (ran out of leave and had to back to work..... or go to the brig.....i chose work.) i used the material from mcmasters the same stuff dynomat is made of without the name or the price. soooooo not looking foward to the next tear down.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Hey doct just a little heads up you might have already knew this but, this is what i bought I think we may talking about the same stuff not sure.   I went to a local roofing supply store and bought this stuff called ice and water guard, I got 200 square feet for $56.00 I am currently in the process of trying to get rid of as much rattle as possible.  I'm going to apply this to the metal and then im going to apply some foam rubber over that and then put the plastic panels back on.   Foam rubber meaning carpet padding.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
realitycheck is that like the dynamat for roofs?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
Well actually it is for blocking ice and water from getting onto the wood that they place down for the roof, I think.   If my information is correct though all this stuff dynamat, brown bread, fatmat, ice and water guard, etc. Is all made in ohio in the same place.  Dynamat just has a really expensive name with it.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

just got out of the water at work....still draining my ears, i looked for the ice guard at home depot but they don't carry it in florida...at least not in j-ville. I think what I'll do is spray the pannels with the rubber coating then put some padding on top of that, as much as i can and still get them back on. I have three rools of the deadner that I'll put on the roof, then throw some padding up there to help the headliner not vibe so much.

what is a good strong adhesive that i can use for the roof to help the deadner stick better so it won't fall off?

oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
The 3M spray works nice. I have a nasty vibration in my jeep from my sunroof motor and I have yet to figure out a way to fix it without messing up the sunroof.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic