icon

Mean Green

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
One_Dieu 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
I really don't know the real name for this stuff so I call Mean Green.  I was reading an article by Jeff Sit and he put resin and rage gold together.  Has any one done this?  How did it work out and why is it done?  Also how do you mix it.  Meaning how much Rage gold and resin?
Respect the Blood Line
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Its mixed to make it easier to sand. Its also called polycrete or something like that. Im not sure how its mixed though.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
i was about to ask this question too...do u have to add the creme hardener to the rage gold/bondo as well as the liquid hardener to the fiberglass and then mix the 2 together or do u just mix up the resin and hardener and throw in a good size blob of rage gold/bondo? 
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
i have tried this in the past, and i only mixed in the mekp hardener for the resin.
Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it, but you are scared of the consequences.
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
allright, thanks.  It cured normally then?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Mix the rage and resin first. Then mix in a bit more mekp than you normaly would for that amount of resin. I personlly don't like the stuff. It doesn't sand any easier and it can make your box warp. It is supposed to be used as an alternative to doing the hard work and actually laying enough fiberglass. I suggest you don't take the "easy way" and do it the right way.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
It can make your box warp?  is it from the extra heat from adding the extra mekp?  what about just using a thin layer of it to help smooth out the box a bit before u use the rage?  Ive got a box that I'm making and nothing flat is made with fiberglass so after 3 layers of glass i could barely flex it at all, then i added a layer of kitty hair on the outside and a bit on the inside too (using up the can) ..i can jump on it...i was wondering if i did a layer of the (polycrete?) if it would warp this at all plus it will strengthen it a little more while smoothing out the box some...or should i bypass the mix and just use rage as the added strength isnt really necessary?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure about your box needing added strength. I also don't use kitty hair (for structural support) as it is also just cutting a corner and does not equal the results you get when do it the right way. I would not use polycrete. If it seems strong enough just a coat of rage will do it. If it does not seem strong enough, lay more glass. Cut corners will end up coming back to haunt you.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
It might be ok to use on something that doesn't need much structure. You could use it on a monitor mount or something. Just don't use it for sructure or on large areas.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

allright, thanks for the help and the heads up..I dont think it really needs it but i dont want to be borderline on the box..just to be safe i'll lay 1 layer of cloth down as there are no tight bends for it and the cloth wont require as much finishing work as mat (from what i've read)

I was also wondering if adding more or less hardener for both fiberglass and fillers will result in weaker or stronger materials...i used less hardener in the kitty hair and instead of it hardening in 15 min, like the can says its taken about 48 hours to fully cure...does something like that result in a stronger, less brittle material or does it not really matter how long it takes something to cure?

thanks again for your help Nik, its very much needed and appreciated

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic