the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Good Songs for Bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
Anything by the "Dirty Boys", "Duece Komradz" or "Small Tyme Ballas" That good 'ol, Gump Town, home grown, speaker poppin' Alabama rap.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
I bought a handful of new CD's for myself this weekend. They are all relatively bass heavy OR good songs for testing nice clean and balanced bass. Here are some quick reviews after at least one full listen each.
Arturo Sandoval - My Passion for the Piano
This one is my find of the weekend. Many of the jazz cd's I find today are overly processed and synthesised. This one reminds me of sitting in Blues Alley in Georgetown, sipping a gin & tonic, and being completely taken by the music and groove. Each of the five musicians just jams on his instrument and Arturo does a fantastic job on the piano; dancing that fine line between improvisation and moving each song's story along.
Ben Allison - Buzz
Another not-overly processed find, this one features the lead musician, Ben Allison, on the bass. Since the Bass is featured the engineering was obviously most centered on this instrument and the result is fantastic. Use this CD to help evaluate everything from your sub bass to mid bass to highs. This CD won't be fun if you have a one-note wonder sub bass system and poorly balanced midbass.
Medeski, Martin & Wood - End of the World Party
Think serious groove cd. This one is a little more processed, but is also bass heavy, featuring Medeski on keyboards, Martin on drums, and Wood on bass. Really a quite exciting cd and an excellent test to ensure that things don't get muddy when the pace is a little faster than the previous two cd's.
George Benson - Irreplaceable
This cd got a bit processed for me; too much like commercial R&B on a lot of the songs. Many of the songs felt like George wants some radio hits. Nice bass and some decent guitar grooves in parts, but probably my least favorite purchase of the weekend.
Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
I've seen this dude on a couple of the late night shows and he really impressed me. The cover and title of the CD makes me think pop-junk, but this guy rocks. Liner notes confirm what listening instantly gives away - it was recored almost entirely live. It was also mixed almost entirely in the analog domain. The sound quality is excellent. The "live" excitement is excellent. Think back to Blues Alley again. He has a great mix of new songs and new interpretations of standards like "I Get a Kick Out of You" and "I Could Have Danced All Night."
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
invictuz 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  

Track 1 from Baby Annes Mixtress CD

Track 11 from DJ Iceys For the Love of the Beat CD

Uberzone

But the deep hard bass...Lemon D and Dillinja...these guy wheel around a 3 semi truck bass cabinet for there shows...60 bass bins (15" and 18")

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
I was driving home last night and i heard Set it Off (Old Juvenile song) and my teeth were rattling insane.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
------------- Non Rap --------------
HIM - close to the flame
Audioslave - Gasoline
Dimmu Borgir - Puritania
Incubus - Aqueous Transmission, Echo
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

I'm enjoying this thread...it gives me some targets to look for.  About all I hear now that isn't one of "my" CDs are the teenybopper pop hits that my 12 yr old daughter likes to listen to on the radio (blechh!).

kfr01:  I'm going to be looking for you someday in the audio trade magazines writing articles and doing reviews.  You should copy and keep some of the posts you've written on this forum for your portfolio.  (To hell with law!  heh heh)

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart:  thanks for the compliment - wouldn't articles and reviews be a fun job?  Maybe someday - sigh.  :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Didn't read the whole thread, so don't know if this was suggested.
Magic Man: by Heart. Has an excellent deep bass line.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I'd just like to clarify here for Raven. Country should have like, no bass. Atleast true country. Now if you are referring to country rock I can see, because that is some lame hybrid of the two that should have never been done. If a "true" country slips in a bass, it should be so incredibly subtle... If the song has enough bass to truly rumble(Assuming you don't have boosts or anything to help it along) then it is not country, it is hybrid and it should be shot, period. Ok I'm done. :) Sorry, just dislike the confusion between the two.

(I hate country, only 1 artist has ever gotten on my good side and that was because of lyrics, not anything else.)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

gotta say something about the above post. I don't really like counrty/western music. that said, I chose to say country/western because it is a subgenre of a larger musical family. First and foremost, country music came from bluegrass, which came from jazz and classical music. to say that country music should not have bass is just wrong. the double bass (bass cello or upright bass if you prefer) and the tuba are both mainstays of bluegrass music as it doesn't have any drum or precussion (I intentionally didn't say rythym section as it certainly does have that) and those two instruments can easily play down to the 40 HZ range, the tuba, probobly lower. So while some counrty might be missing the low end, to say that country should not have bass is quite simply an incorrect statement. Perhaps there are other variations of country that you like and I simply am unfarmiliar with but I cannot comment on those...

kfr01: excellent reviews, I love that medeski album and will check out the Aurturo disc too.

my contributions: remastered reggae really pounds. I believe RCA rereleased their old marley albums in ADD and they really impress me particularly the album EXODUS. i also recommend victor wooten's album what did he say, very cool basslines on that disc

Page of 15

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic