best place to mount shock sensor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fordfAlcon 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  

hi all,

just thought id post this new info, i recently tested the output sensitivity on differnet parts of my car, a falcon and my girfreinds car a toyota celica (Smaller sportscar)  In my falcon sedan  (a larger Family car for those who have not heard lol) the best response for light contact ie someone opening their door onto the car or a cat jumping onto the car, out of five different locations was when it was mounted to a part of the steering column plastic cowling which protruded. (another great place is the Cabin roof in the center but involves removing lining, arrrgh dont do :<)To find this location i sat in the car and watched and felt for shock waves with my hand as wither someone threw my cat (wont come near me now lol). or literaly had a door touch the car (hence chip marks) Quiet clearly could i see the plastic covering vibrate almost like a tuning fork. where as in the Celica the best location was a steel dash mounting bracket inside the cabin of the car.

The locations for the falcon where: a) Firewall directly screwed on b) Ignition wiring harness above foot pedals c) The steering column itself Ziped tight onto a flatspot d) the cabin roof  e) above mentioned plastic. For the Celica a) steering Column b) Large wiring harness c) Cab roof d) Firewall e) Dash Mounting Bracket

Well thats my results anyway :) Thankyou

Screw The Rest FORDs tha Best!!!!!
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
There is no doubt that screwing the sensor into the firewall with FOUR mounting screws (one in each corner) is the best solution for greatest sensitivity.  This clearly yielded much greater results.
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
bigpun78 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
for me the steering column has been a great spot but if possable I always try to find a place in the center of the dash on a metal suface, I have heard that the harness works great too. It all depends one the vehicle you are working on.
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Bret the only problem I've run across (and I know I'm going to catch some crap for this) is that with code alarm brains, the shock sensor is internal, and with the size of the brain it is next to impossible to find a flat spot with that much area on the firewall. 
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
Again, there are some exceptions. Some car is next to impossible of finding a spot to put the alarm unit let alone a flat spot.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.best place to mount shock sensor? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic