icon

best place to mount shock sensor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdmbuilt 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
i read the owner's manual for the viper alarm and it says "In many vehicles, tying the sensor to the steering column or screwing it to metal will result in poor sensitivity, especially at the rear of the vehicle."
well, to my surprise, my installer mounted the shock sensor to my steering column. help me decide where to relocate it. thanks!
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
thats where i always put them because if you mount it (for instance) behind a kick panel then that side of the car will be more sensitive than the other. it should be in a center point in the car secured to an attaching body piont. that way both sides have the same sensitivity.
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
try the fattest wire loom under your dash, it always works for me.
gcorrea
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
DEI says to mount your shock sensor to a LARGE wire harness.......NOT to a solid surface. This will prevent false alarms..........I'm not so sure about that .... Try and find a spot that is attached to the body of the car,.....and NOT made of plastic. Hard to do on most newer cars today though..........
drp6730003 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  

KarTuneMan, you're right! It's hard to find!

I used to try it on a large harness, behind the stereo and inside the dash panel. Now I put it on the metal plate under dash by thin double-sided tape, which is the best place ever I feel. But is it popular to be tied to steering column?

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
"But is it popular to be tied to steering column?"
Very popular with a lot of installer. It's quick and easy, but sometime this option in not always available.
I personally like to mount the sensor on a solid surface like a metal plate or body of the car if possible so that it will pick up any tampering that is going on. It’s a lot easier to test the sensitivity level and set it correctly.     The problem with mounting it to a large harness in the vehicle is that the harness absorbs most of the vibration so the sensitivity level has to be turn up to compensate for that variable.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.best place to mount shock sensor? -- posted image.
Fullthrottle 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
What about the center console of a vehicle?
Attached to the floor.
nitris 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2005 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
ok well how about this one ive done it a couple of times on poor shock sensors, i may use a zip tie to let the sensor dangle from a harness in the car so if any movement is made it detects it i turn down the sensitivity to a reasonable level
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
back in the days shock sensors came on a metal strip that you would bend around till you found the perfect angle. problem was if you parked on a unleveled surface your alarm would false and even wind would trigger it.
gcorrea
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

DEI recommends mounting the "included" shock sensor with most of their alarms to the steering column very tightly with very strong lock tie wraps.  I believe that this is because a solid surface will pick up vibration easier than a wire loom or anything else.  These surfaces will absorb a degree of vibration/shock.  

The ideal place would be to MOUNT (with screws) the shock sensor flat against the inside of the firewall.  You will want as much of the "flat back" of the sensor to be in contact with the firewall as possible.  The more contact that the sensor has with the surface of the car that it's mounted to, the more sensitive your sensor will be. 

The idea is to then set the sensor as sensitive as possible without producing undesirable falsing.  Installers must understand that this is going to take some time and patience.  Most installers (to get the job done quickly) set the shock sensor where it's not sensitive enough (because they do not want a returning customer complaining of false shock alerts).  If you're installing your own alarm, you should have the time and 'care' to take your time and adjust the sensor little by little over a few days (assuming the sensor is easily accesible - recommended) and in this way, you can custom set the sensor to your circumstances. 

However, hands down, a HARD SOLID FLAT surface is going to be your VERY BEST bet for achieving the maximum sensitivity from a shock sensor.  Sensitivity is GOOD.  I paid over $500 for a top notch Clifford alarm with an omni-shock sensor.  I don't state this to brag, but only to point out that those who want the very best protection for their vehicle even pay extra for sensitivity.  Don't "throw away" your sensitivity of your sensor by mounting it to a wire bunch or by suspending it in mid air under the dash where it will "feel" very little vibration.

My $.02     best place to mount shock sensor? -- posted image.

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic