the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Replace W7 surround?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have access to a W7 that someone attempted to steal. While removing it from the box they ripped a nasty hole the surround. The guy that owns it is willing to dump it for $100. Anyone know how much it would cost me to get this thing reconed? Would I have to send it directly to JL, or do they have service centers? I really wouldn't mind havin this one to go with the one I already have, but if it's gonna cost an arm and leg to fix it I might as well not.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Nik, yes you must send the woofer to JL. Depending on the size Jl's retail for the repair is between $180 and $470. Subtract from that how much you can haggle your JL dealer to find out if it's worth it or not. One catch you will need the receipt or JL won't touch it. We're just ready to buy and build a new shop show car. What kind of car should I get? Bob
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Are you saying that JL won't fix it at all without a receipt? I've heard that before but it makes no since to me. What do they care if it was bought from a authorized dealer if I am gonna pay them for the repairs? Really doesn't matter in this case cause he bought it from the local shop and they can print one if he doesn't have it. But it just makes no since.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, it's a 12". You don't happen to know the price do you?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Nik, It's prove it wasn't ripped off. Retail on the 12" is $350.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Um, Why don't you just put a new surround on it yourself?
There shouldn't be a need to get it reconed if the cone itself wasn't ripped.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry but where do you get a retail price of a 12" W7 to be $350 tcss?
on ebay the average cost of a 12" w7 is ~$500.
Not if thats the cost of the damaged W7, then i could understand the $350 cost...but not retail.
Why not get a XXX 12" or altante-think thats it. Near if not the same cost. Also nearly if not better than the W7...IMO.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
Maxst - $350 is not the retail of the speaker, READ the thread manReplace W7 surround? -- posted image.
I'm not gonna get a XXX (right now) because I already have a W7 and this other one is quite cheap.
Poormanq45 - How difficult would that be? Where would I get the surround?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
customsound79 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
From my experience,  no car audio manufacturer will allow third party recones. They do this because they don't want anyone to get a bad impression of their products due to a sloppy job. I tried and tried to get a recone kit for a pair of L7's and they woundn't budge even though I've been reconing speakers for years. Your best bet is to buy a different sub and forgo the huge hassle and it would probably cost the same if not less. OR, if you are really good with a razor blade, buy a blown one and rob the surround from it.
My wife will never understand why, lucky for her!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
I think it's pretty much impossible to only replace the surround on the W7s. You would probobly have to recone it completely. I'd call JL and see what they want to recone it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic