icon

Total System Tuning

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Okay. My system is installed, the wife is happy, the neighboors are not, and I have tweaked on the sound settings until I am blue in the face. I think I have the settings optimized but I really don't know. Is there a method to setting up a system to achieve best SQ? Is there a CD to pop in that has test tones? Is there a hand held meter or something I can use to verify cross-over points? What is the best way to tune the whole thing?
Any help will be appreciated.
Mike
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
It depends what you're after, actually.  If nothng is clipping or distorting and you like the way it sounds, then "tuning" by ear is perfectly fine and more than sufficient.  In fact, there are many audio professionals who always tune by ear and never use meters.  So if you're after a great sounding daily driver, you are finished.  If on the other hand you're after maximally flat response, or you intend to compete in SQ comps, or you are simply an audiophile who wants to "be certain," yes there are many tools you could use.  What you'll need is a real time analyzer (do a Google search and you'll find many of them as well as tips on their use.)  These can be very expensive tools, so if you plan to use it once I suggest hooking up with a (high-end) car audio shop and seeing if they have one they will rent to you for a couple hours.
Support the12volt.com
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I am an audiophile wana-be but I'm not there yet so please explain what a "maximally flat response" is. Maximally flat as opposed to what?
Thanks!
Mike
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Since there is no such thng as a perfect 100% flat frequency response in any real-world equipment, "maximally" flat refers to using EQ and filters to achieve as close to an ideal flat response curve as possible.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Of your question, there are some CD's available with test frequencies.  Here's one I found using a Google search.  And here's a portable digital RTA.....very affordable for the average DIYer, don't ya think?     ;)

mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the links!
However, I'm still not clear on the term "flat response curves". Are you refering to the transfer function graphs as shown in the first image on my website as generated by WinISD? If so, are you referring to keeping the curve horizontal (flat) between a lower and upper frequency range?
Mike
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  

The graph chart on that webpage shows decibels on the vertical axis from +6 to -30.  Adjust that to +6 to -12 to narrow the printout as you are not interested in output softer than -12 db anyway.  The horizontal range is fine for a sub at 10 Hz to 200 Hz.

Draw an imaginary line along the 0 db line from 20 Hz all the way to 120 Hz.  Imagine that the line falls off at a steep angle below 20 Hz, and curves off at a gentle angle starting at 120 Hz.  You would have an ideal flat response if it looked like that.

Although there are times that you can create a computer-simulated workup of a response line that DOES look flat, an actual RTA reading after the installation would show you a response that looks different.  That's because of the added sound caused by the coupling with the auto environment (cabin gain) and the subtraction of sound caused by cancellation and other things.

So, DYohn's advice in his first response is true in every case -  "If nothng is clipping or distorting and you like the way it sounds, then "tuning" by ear is perfectly fine and more than sufficient."

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
Ah Ha! I get it now. My system does sound wonderful now but what if I had one of those megabucks RTAs that could show me the response curve of my system as installed. If it showed anything but a perfectly flat curve I could upgrade my components, add components, buy accessories, etc. until I got the flat curve I'm looking for. Then, I could improve more by putting DynaMat everywhere to kill the road noise and damping the ambient white noise. I could check it again to see if the curve is flat or not. If not, I could.......NO! NO! NO!.....SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP ME!!!!! Total System Tuning -- posted image. IT IS A NEVER ENDING CYCLE OF SPEND MONEY AND TEST!!
Okay...I need some coffee.   I'll leave the RTA alone for now. Total System Tuning -- posted image.
Thanks for the help!
Mike
stevdart 
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

Ha ha that's funny and so, so true!  Here's a true story with me recently:  I've been working on a crossover network for a center channel speaker system that I'm building for my HT system.  I'm using some new (to me) computer software (Speaker Workshop) that I'm becoming familiar with as I use it.  Working on the response curve, and trying to get a flat response from the woofers to the tweeter....and also trying to achieve a proper system impedance.......I ended up designing not just the crossovers but also added a Zobel network and series notch filters for both the woofer network and the tweeter.

So for this simple little two-way center channel, I had three crossovers, two series notch filters, an L-pad and a Zobel network.

In order to achieve the exact values in the components, I had to use additional components and add them together....for example I used 3 resistors in parallel to achieve a resistance value, and two capacitors in parallel to get what I needed for capacitance.  My crossover board ended up with 27 individual components!

I ordered everything from Parts Express.  Got my heavy package, looked at all those components....then went back to the drawing board and started over.  Starting as simple as possible, I found that I could remove BOTH series notch filters and the L-pad altogether and achieve the SAME response that I had with them in the mix.  I ended up taking out eight component values consisting of a total of fifteen individual components!

Just goes to show that you can work on corrections to the point of being ridiculous, as one correction sometimes necessitates a counter-correction that you're not aware is happening.  And simple is better.  Now I have a rather substantial component inventory in my workbench for future projects.....

Next time I get carried away with tweaking I'll have to think of Michael Jackson's nose....tweaked and tweaked until it fell off.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

lol   ^^^^^ funny story.  Congrats on the more simple xo.  :-)

How are you liking speaker workshop?  Did you build a wallin jig, or just make some cords?

mrmsudawgs:  I use a relatively cheap RTA setup for the laptop computer.  I bought a fairly cheap Behringer 8000 Mic, the IUSB Mobile-Pre from M-Audio, and the TrueRTA software from http://www.trueaudio.com/

If you have a laptop this setup is a great value.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic