icon

Unique Whips

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  

Is anyone else extremely disappointed with this show? When they first started advertising it a few months ago, I was very excited. I thought they were going to show some of the cool things that premier customizing shops do. I thought it could give me some new ideas.

Instead, it's a show about the boring people that work there, and the relationship between the owner and head technician is a sorry attempt at recreating American Chopper's relationship between Junior & Senior.

daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
I think that show sucks, it is the worst custom show I have seen, American Chopper is awesome on the other hand.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
SoundExplosion 
Copper - Posts: 48
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

I know reme and willy i used to work right next to them when they had their old shop in nassau on long island and i just wish they would show more about the cars then about them. i think that they should show some of it is really done on these cars. and show less on who owns it.

SoundEXplosion

"You are only as good as your last install"
" T-taps should never be used"
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Before they had the show I cranked called them from the high end shop I was working at. It was a good laugh for everyone. I was like "you guys on the east coast call a metra kit custom" lol and he was all mad.
But all and all if you've never been there. Working at a high end shop where you have days and weeks to work on a car can be wayyyy boring. You come up with a cool idea and spend hours and hours and hours sanding. Not much material for a tv show.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

You all are hitting the nail on the head. This show is destined for doom.

AZN, I know they spend a lot of time sanding, and can be boring. The great thing about TV is you have people who are paid to edit footage. The problem with UW is that they edited out almost all of the shop work and just put in Will yelling at people and famous people spending their money. The show would probably do well on VH1.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
I think the show will do just fine. Most people don't really care about the work involved or how to do it. They wanna see the rich folks and their toys. Those of us who actually do this stuff, are of course not impressed. But the show is not for us. Its for your everyday Joe who neither knows or cares how to do it but thinks its cool.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
depends on the person i guess...i dont have any freinds that would appreciate a show like this...i mean, Pimp My Ride isnt considered that great because they dont go in depth like Overhaulin does although Pimp My Ride u can at least still get some ideas off of.  I absolutely hate shows about people and especially the rich ones that cant even 'tie their shoe laces' cause they been paying people to do it all their lives.  The show might do alright, theres enough people that will just watch anything, and its a bit better than alot of the shows out there.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
haha the worst shows are those tuner shows! I HATE those twins with their Broklyn accents.
But I think the good parts of Unique is that they show real business
But the sucky part is like someone said; too much talking and not showing the details of HOW things are done. I mean after watching American Chopper I can probably go build a bike now ya know?
But the thing that cracks me up is the "Custom" installs. Custom isn't custom without fiberglass and bondo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw an episode where they made a box, put the amp on top, then made a cover. Custom *shhhh* I did stuff like that for Circuit City.
Will if your reading GET SOME BONDO!!! Learn from us on the west side! LOL
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
They do good work at that shop. The show however, wasn't what I would like to see. I mean it's cool to see all the customs and all, but they should show more of the install not all the BS that they do around the shop. They should have more of a Bob Vila type show, where they show people whats really going on.  How to build boxes and istall amps stuff like that. A little BS on the side is still ok. They should just show more cars and systems than people.
Big Dave
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately the install itself doesn't make good tv for most people. They show a lot of finished product & celebrities for a reason. Throw in some drama to give it a feel of a reality show, and you have a hit. Also if the turn around time on most of their work is really as short as they say, then you can't expect them to be doing crazy fiberglass installs all the time. I respect anyone that deals with Will for more than a day.. They've only shown what 4 episodes so far and already have reruns.. That sucks..
Mike
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic