icon

Sealed enclosure too small?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cdjr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
For more info on using polyfill,here is a good article by Tom Nousaine from the old Car Stereo Review mag:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resources/fiberfill/
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
[quote]
Wait a minute, who set the gains, subs only blow if the signal is clipped. Did you go back and adjust the gains? Efficiency or power handling is not going to make one bit of difference if you clip the signal.
[/quote]
Ah, no, putting too much power to a sub will fry it senseless....i've done it...
Try plugging the sub into a wall outlet. That's 60hz, pretty much as clean as it gets, but it's at 120 volts. That'll fry all but the craziest subs.....
-Drew
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like a brilliant idea, do you do it often?
sinistar 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
That was a good article on the polyfill. I bought a little over 1 lb. of it and used 3/4 of the bag so I don't think I stuffed it too much at all considering the box is roughly 1cu ft. total. I thought the polyfill would make the air space hotter, but the article says it actually helps cool the air which is interesting because my subs were red hot. I think I just have too much power and they couldn't handle it. I have another post open looking for suggestions to replace the dead ones. I wish my box was just a little bigger...then I could have my pick of pretty much any sub and it would be within spec.
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, geepherder where can I find more information on the gain settings of an audio system?  You were quick to make me look like a retard which is cool but more info or site would be good.  I would ask for more help here but, I feel since I asked once or more indepth answer would make me look more of a retard and I would just rather you help me find a place or site they you have used for ref and I will go about it that way.

Thanks

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

I'm sorry.  I didn't intend to come across that way.  I wanted to caution you before you smoked some equipment, and saw your hard earned dollars go to waste.  That's all.  Check out www.bcae1.com.  This is the best online tutorial for this type stuff that I know.

What you want to do is start with all the gain controls down all the way.  Now turn up the volume at your deck until you begin to hear distortion.  Back it off until the distortion disappears, and leave it there.  Now, go to the next piece of equipment in the chain, be it an eq, line driver, crossover, whatever.  Now basically repeat this process.  Begin turning up the gain controls until you begin to hear distortion, and back it off until it disappears, and leave it there.  Now, go to the next piece and repeat the process again.

It really is that simple.  The problem with maxing the gain controls at the amp and turning them down at the crossover is you're not using them as they were intended, and can easily clip the signal at the amp.  In retrospect, a properly setup system will give you a great s/n ratio, which is what you should want.

Be sure to reset the gains whenever you make any changes in equipment or settings as well.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks dude now that was very helpful I did not know all that which you all ready new that.  Great help man I will check out that site and let you know where I get with the gain controls and what not.  Thanks man.Sealed enclosure too small? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

Peace

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic