icon

Pro install - I don't think so?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Moseng 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
I just purchased an Infinity Basslink online. It's basically a 10"sub with a 200watt amp built in. I decided to get it installed at the local Sound shop. What they did was connect it to only one of the rear speakers. The instructions supplied call for it to be connected to both front and rear speakers. I assume to get all the lows. As it is now I can't crank it like I used to without getting some pretty bad distortion on the rear speaker the sub is connected to. My question is, did the pro connect it correctly, meaning is this a "stock" setup - no bass loss, or should I take it back and have them connect it to the front and rear speakers like it says in the instructions?
tenny 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
i'd definalty take it back and have them do it right.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I'd contact Infinity and ask a tech, then go back and tell them to do it right!
Moseng 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestions. What I really would like to know is Will connecting ALL the speakers up to this sub work better than the way it is now?
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
i dont see why it would but you never know. why would you need four inputs to run one sub? definitely contact infinity and ask them.
pdzcallday 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
No it is not going to make a differance weather it is conected to one speaker or all speakers. but are they using a line out converter or using the speaker input wire? If using speaker input change that to the lin out converter and that should help out alot.
Moseng 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ummm. what does a line out converter look like? :)
Moseng 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
and can you hook it up to just a rear speaker?
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
a converter is a smal bos with speaker inputs on one side should have the speaker wire atached that was taped in from you rear speaker and the other side will have rca connected to it running to your basslink
Fyrhwk1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  

well, first of all, go back and have them connect it to both a left and a right speaker, I typically connect to both rear speakers if I'm using the high level (white plugs with 4 speaker wires coming from them) inputs. Certain types of music have changing signals, they only output sound to the left or right at certain times, and since you only have a left or right signal, your basslink won't receive any signal when the music only plays on the left/right, whichever isn't hooked up.

I wouldn't say this is your cause of distortion, but I've never wired a basslink to only a right or left source, so perhaps the amplifier isn't taking to the input on only 1 channel well. I would take it back and tell them you want it properly wired, and make them aware of the sound quality, this way they can fix the wiring, and begin troubleshooting once everything is installed properly, it never helps trying to fix a problem if it's still wired incorrectly.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic