icon

Big problem that does’t make sense, deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nicorolla 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone, i'm going nuts !Big problem that does’t make sense, deck -- posted image.
I've been trying all night to figure out what is wrong with my buddy's system. (Pionner DEH7600MP, MTX RT202 amp)
The problem is that his "sub out" is going wacko: pops and rumbles when turning on and changing tracks and sounds like a bunch of rumbly messed up bass.
I have tried everything, litteraly, to find what is causing the problem. Here's what i tried:
Diffrent RCA wire - same thing - RCA wire not the problem
Diffrent source (from my deck inside my car) works perfect - amp not the problem
Put his deck in my car - works awesome - his deck is not problem
Put my deck (DEH5500MP that works 100% in my car) in his car - exact same problem, problem defenetly not his deck
Tested all wires with meter - Everything normal when on and when off (ON:yellow 12v, red 12v, blue 12V - OFF:yellow 12v, red 0v, blue 0v)
Grounded the casing of the deck - nothing changed
Tried a diffrent source for the turn on lead for the amp - same
cut the harness and rewired it - nothing changed
cut the power wires (yellow red and black) from the harness, connected the yellow to a wire coming directly from the battery, the red connected to a acc relay that i just installed and the black to a nice solid bare metal ground, and with the rest of the harness NOT connected in case speakers were interfering - results....same damn thing !
---------------
Speakers connected to deck works perfect
rear RCA out WORKS
front RCA has that problem
sub out, the same
Deck show no signs of malfunction
Remember that both decks work 100% in my car and has exactly the same problem in his car
----------------
His car, 90 prelude
my car 98 corolla
---------------
If someone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time
- Nick
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  
Try regrounding the deck and the amp. Also you said its a popping noise right? Find out if it happens with the car running and also when its just sitting there with the ignition on. If it is only with the car running it could be the spark plug wires. A bad connection or a pin hole in one of the wires can cause a popping noise when runnning an amp.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  

Make sure any wire bundles that are behind the installed deck are secured out of the way so that they don't touch the deck casing or the RCA's.  Make sure the RCA's aren't bent or touching anything when the deck is installed.  Test by running a different deck ground directly to battery with deck out of installed position...then into installed position.

If you don't find the solution there, run separate RCA's over the seats through the car to the amp to isolate that possibility.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  

did you try a different amp? that sounds like the only thing that you didn't change. make sure your gain settings aren't too high, thats probably not it, but somthing minute like that will cause more problems that you'd think. on thinkg that also comes to mind that was suggested to me by one of kickers tech guys is that a sub may have a small bad spot on it's coil and when it's at rest it shorts. that would be extremely out of the ordinary, but possible. the tinsel leads could also be bad and cause a problem. try changing the subs. also, running another battery ground is never a bad idea.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  

It sounds like either an amp ground issue, or a gain issue.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
specialauto 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
im thinkin gain too...
Canadian Auto Sound
Starting Installer
nicorolla 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
I greatly appreciate the help everyone but it looks like there's a few things in my first post that has been not been looked at.
When i was rewiring the deck, i had the deck on my lap with the harness streched out attached to it. I also tried moving around the harness to see if it had any affect, nothing changed
It's not a gain issue, when i connect the rca from my car's amp rca output to his amp rca input, the gain behaves normaly. When it's connected to the deck inside his car, if i turn the gain beyond 1/4 there's some sort of feedback (basicly a loud constant humming rumble).
The poping noise is not "thump", it's like a series of soft "pomp pomp popopomp" when the deck is working (reading the cd) it's not loud at all but still an indication of a problem.
could it be the amp's grounding somehow interfering with the deck? The only thing that seems to work is when i connect my deck which is entirely from a diffrent electrical system which it could not interfere. Does this make sense?? The amp in his car is solidly grounded on a bare metal surface.
Today i'm gonna try to connect the deck straight to the battery see what happens. I'll post the results.
Please look clearly at my first post before replying
Thank you very very much for your input everyone. I greatly appreciate it.
nicorolla 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
oh, sorry i forgot to add
this happens with the car off or on. doesn't change
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
The symptoms you describe in the post above indicate your amp gain is too high. Plus I suggest NOT using teh factory ground for the HU but connect the HU ground wire directly to the chassis.
Support the12volt.com
nicorolla 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
I strongly believe that it's not the gain, when running from my car, the deck works perfectly on his amp. I can turn up the gain to a resonable level w/o any defects or feedback.
Also, i don't understand why the rear RCA out works but the front RCA out and the sub out has that problem.
In my first post, i indicated that i ditched the farctory harness all together:
"I cut the power wires (yellow red and black) from the harness, connected the yellow to a wire coming directly from the battery, the red connected to a acc relay that i just installed and the black to a nice solid bare metal ground, and with the rest of the harness NOT connected in case speakers were interfering - results....same damn thing ! "
There's something in the electrical of his car that i just can't put my hand on. I'll try a few things today and post them.
Thanks !!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic