the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Big problem that does’t make sense, deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
OK, so let's be clear:  You have installed the same amp and same HU in another car without issues?  Then I suspect a bad ground in the vehicle.  Assuming your amp ground is good, try cleaning both battery terminals with a wire brush and then baking soda and make sure the engine ground strap is solid and not rusted.
Support the12volt.com
nicorolla 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
i'm out of ideas
i tried even more stuff today, still same damn crap.
Grounding the amp didn't help, i ran a booster cable to ground the amp.
I tried his deck in my car with a rca going to his amp (in his car) and it didn't give me the feedback but the signal was very weak. the odd thing is as soon as i plugged in the RCA for the speakers (on rear out) the sub out came to life and was working like normal :S i tried many other configurations and nothing changed. Either way, no matter what i do, if any deck is running in his car i get that problem. I'm about to set this car on fire.
Next sunny day i'm gonna take the damn thing appart, i'm gonna ditch the factory harness forever, run new wires, new relays, new everything.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

Take your car to a professional install shop in your area and pay for some help.

Based on your most recent post, you may have a defective HU.  But it's time to get help.

Support the12volt.com
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
I'd imagine it would have to be something in the car such as bad ground or low impedance maybe even grounded spkr lead. I was gonna say bad deck but if any deck installed into the car has the same problem this rules that out.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
Internal fault with the ground plane of the Pioneer cd player. Replace the cd player or have the problem fixed at a repair deptot. Not the first time I have seen nor heard of this problem.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nicorolla 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
I'm gonna try to get a non pioneer deck see how that works out. Also I'll try to get my buddy's deck replaced on warranty. Thats pretty much the only other thing i can do.
Thank you very much forbidden
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

i always approach troubleshooting from a " what's the same..what's different?" attitude... you say both HU's act up in his car, yet not if wired in yours where you snake signal into his amp (say a 20' RCA cable) yet if you install the same HU in his vehicle the problem reoccurs... what the same? the HU      whats different ? the physical power and ground connections (since signal is now going into the amp on car A (his)) applying this same test, does his original HU work fine when "mounted" in your car but plugged into his amp?  if so, whats the same? the HU's... whats different?  the power and ground planes from amp to deck.... it sure sounds like a ground loop or possibly an open ground to me.... keep in mind that until the two components are connected to the same ground potential, it's unlikely you'll experience a ground loop issue.....

also keep in mind that every output stage ( pre-amp and powered ) are isolated.... you could easily have burned ground foils on one pre-out but not the others or a bad OP amp for the sub out which will have no effect on the other preouts.... the problem you were describing sounds like servo noise coming from the mecha control PCB or the pre out section....this is usually indicative of an open ground path within one or more individual circuits within the HU......

a last simple test you may want to make is to take a jumper wire from ground and physically connect it to the shield of the RCAs at the back of the HU... if it's an open ground in the audio path that channel may suddenly "come to life"... you then would have to take the HU apart (i'm not saying YOU should do this) and isolate and repair the burned/open ground foil....

of course it's really tough to try to troubleshoot something from a distance ( over the phone, over the net, etc )

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have actually had a similar issue, at least I think it was similar.

I had my ground come loose on my amp during testing before everything was bolted tight, and the amp grounded through the RCA's of my deck, surpirsingly this was a Pioneer HU that I was using as well.  since a 12 volt ground had passed through my RCAs it fried a nice line in the board of my amp and caused a popping/crackling sound in the deck, when you turn the volume up the crackling gets softer and the subs start to fully respond for short periods of time, but that was just because of the current arcing across the burnt sections of the ciruits which was probably what the crackling and popping was.

I had to replace both my amp and my HU, but as I said this does not sound exactly like the issue you are seeing, but it was a ground issue, and from the sounds of it, it's definetely a ground issue.... but that has already been established.

eh? what did you just say?
nicorolla 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the extremely valubable peice of information :D
Just one thing, when you say connect a jumper ground to the "shield" of the RCA, thats the outer rim of the connector right? just want to make sure.
Again, thanks alot for your help kgerry
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
yes it's the outer shield... some units use an isolated audio ground which isnt common to chassis ground.. so this may tell you nothing, also if the ground path is open anywhere other than the audio path, again this wont tell you anything... but it's just one of the many things i try when i'm chasing down a problem like this.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic