icon

Big problem that does’t make sense, deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

I've had similar trouble as well, goes back to my very first install....apparently painted metal isn't a good earth!!  Who would've thought huh? The drama ended up being that it wasn't earthed through the body of the car but was actually earthing out through the rca leads itself.

Another drama I had with that car that scared the daylights out of me was when I installed the head unit, I connected the power leads, speakers, antenna and was looking around for a spot to earth the unit out too when I hit power button and the thing came on! I was like Whoa! it's got no earth and it's playing the damned CD! It was earthed through the antenna cable wasn't it? Just goes to show that although you may have an earth, if it's a bad earth you may not know it.

Check all advice given with a meter
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, "earth" is the first thing you should hook up, not the last !!!!
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Search on my username in this forum and you will see that I recently had issues with a thump noise. I tried the same trouble shooting techniques that you did with the same results. I attacked it again last night and I think I found the problem which, in turn, may be your problem because the symptoms sound the same.
My system can be seen here for reference. My amp was mounted on a sheet metal box and the box was screwed into the sheet metal of the truck which, in turn, grounded the box. The screws I used to secure the amp to the sheet metal box also provided continuity to ground through the amp chassi via the sheet metal box. Also, part of my seat's brackets were rubbing/scratching on the frame of the amp which provided another point of ground. Basically, my amp was grounding in two or three spots at once which, according to tech support at Alpine, can cause the head unit to go in and out of safe mode inducing a thumping noise in the system.
Last night I insulated my amp from the sheet metal box and surrounding seat supports using rubber material. I even put rubber under the screw heads to make sure they can not contact the amp. I checked for continuity to ground all over the amp surface and added rubber until I got zilch, nada, nothing. So far today - no problems. Not even a hint of a thump noise.
I say all of this to ask you to check and make sure your amp is gounding only at one point. That point should be the ground wire. This will avoid any ground loops that will induce popping sounds in the system.
My 2 cents (based on experience).
Mike
Big problem that does’t make sense, deck - Page 3 -- posted image.
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
kgerry..one of the first things I learnt when I got my first job in the industry Big problem that does’t make sense, deck - Page 3 -- posted image.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

overworked2 wrote:
I connected the power leads, speakers, antenna and was looking around for a spot to earth the unit out too

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
overworked2 wrote:

"I've had similar trouble as well, goes back to my very first install".........."Another drama I had with that car that scared the daylights out of me was when I installed the head unit, I connected the power leads, speakers, antenna and was looking around for a spot to earth the unit out too "....

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
does everyone in australia say "earth" instead of ground, or are you just trying to be trendy? because it's not clever, witty or catchy. just curious. now im done.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
soundmasta:  it's really "earth".  We in the US say "ground".  All in all, if anybody's guilty of being trendy....it's us in the USA.  The peoples of other cultures seem to be a little more down to "earth"!
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Just to add real quick. My 1990 Prelude had a noise issue, not one like this but it was a noise through the speakers. I ran the RCA's down the passangers side and the power down the drivers side. Also, when mounting the amp i put Rubber feeties so to speak so the amp wouldnt be connected to the chasis. Also on the ground make sure u sand it down and have no paint where it is. Sorry if I repeated something but this is my experience.
overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2005 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

Please, so I don't look trendy, witty or clever.....Just trying to stop further confusion.

Earth = Ground

Bonnet = "hood"

Boot = Trunk

Cutters = Side Cutters

Motor = Engine

Engine = Motor

Speaker = Round thing

Sub = Bigger round thing

Amp = That thing that makes music louder.

Did I miss anything?

oops, now I'm trying to be funny, comical and witty.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic