the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Who hates Mazda RX8's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
The stupid hoser's  integrated the climate controls into the radio in this car. Unplug the radio, no display and no climate controls. Now they were kind enough to leave us a proper ISO mounting cage of the double din variety, but the next major issue is going to be relocating the old radio. The radio comes apart from the control board which is left attached to the bezel. So now I must move the control board to a new spot and the radio and then wire them together. Nice, real nice.... time consuming and a major major project. I think the easy part is going to be making a kit for it and then refinishing the dash panel in gloss piano black to match the stock original finish.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah Mazda definately threw a curve ball at us with there new cars.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yeh, friend of mine has a Mazda 6 and not a big fan of the interior.
Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I figured out a short cut. I can remove the control board attached to the bezel (that I was going to remove from the bezel anyhow) to make room for the dvd to go through. So now I can mount the board permanently to the radio and relocate the entire unit to a new home in the trunk. I now have about 28 wires + the main power molex to turn into a relocation harness instead of about triple that. These wires are also much larger in size and as such will be far easier to work with. I'm taking digital pictures as I go so that it will be a build up vehicle for all to see. I have not seen any RX8's on any site that has had a head unit installed into the dash. I'm starting to like this car strangely enough.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
After reading that, I'd rather deal with that stupid wave tube "system" in the last rx-7. I'd love to see pics when it's done.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Who hates Mazda RX8's? -- posted image.
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  

I did not buy a Mazda due the exact issues discussed here!

HONEST. Their radio cost them a sale :)

truemagellen 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2005 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys...hello Forbidden I got your PM on RX8club...yes I think he figured it out...the HU core is a very small PCB that can be crammed just about anywhere as long as it is protected from shorts :)
u don't even need to relocate anything else to the trunk :)
just maintain the HU core, the climate controls, and the lcd readout (located above the HU faceplate...not connected anyway)...make sure to tear out the Hazard warning button for relocation...then chuck the entire cage and everything else that comes with the HU
there is a crazy man paying for a complete setup of his car...you can see pics and there is even pics of the the new LCD screen mounted where the HU is...
http://devoid.mine.nu
Forbidden feel free to email me with questions...I am not a pro...I am just a serious amatuer so be warned (although I have taken apart 80% of the interior of the car about 8 times for my xbox/aux in/avbox/backupcam/etc install...it was a PITA but not anymore :)
forbidden 
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

Nobody knows the trouble I'm in........... actually we are progressing on it finally. I still dislike this vehicle and one of the BOSE speakers made a break for it.

truemagellen 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
"Nobody knows the trouble I'm in"
what do you mean Who hates Mazda RX8's? -- posted image.
forbidden 
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Just complaining is all, too many large things on the go at once...... currently I am taking a break from grinding 1/4" steel nice and smooth so as to mount my subs properly and keep the clear acrylic from being damaged. Big heavy subs + vehicle motion + clear acrylic = a crack wating for a place to happen. 1" acrylic is not cheap either. The steel I cut out to the exact shape as the subs overall diameter and the inside mounting diameter, leaving me basically with a big steel washer that is going to be powder coated on Monday.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic