the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

i have an eclipse stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
Without a proof of purchase you can only unlock it with the original key CD the original owner used.
Mine is a Sinatra cd that I've only ever seen in the store I bought it in: a small shack of a cd store in london..... and I'm a big Sinatra fan. :-)
If a thief gets my deck he's out of luck.
Eclipse will not help you without proof of purchase.
You're out of luck, man.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
You CANT!!! One more time for the slower members of the board, or those who refuse to listen - YOU CAN NOT GET IT TO GO! Call the police, and turn yourself in for posession of stolen property. Drop it. You will NOT EVER GET IT GOING!
Produce a receipt, and call Eclipse. That's how you get it going.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't heard of this before. Can one of you explain it a little more?
Do you pick a single cd to use, or is one provided with your Eclipse HU?
When do you have to use it? Everytime your HU is unplugged then plugged back in?
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
The original owner chooses a CD, one he wants to be a security CD. He presses two buttons simultaneously on the face of the unit, the player asks for the chosen CD. When you insert it, the player reads the TOC off of the CD, encodes it, and stores it in non-volatile flash memory. If the battery is ever disconnected and reconnected, the player will not function without the ORIGNAL CD. (Copies do not work, I have tried it - Why? I can't tell you, I do not know) The user is given 5 tries to provide the correct CD, after which "CALL 800" is displayed on the face. The phone number is right on top of the unit, and Eclipse will HAPPILY send FedEx right to your (the perpetrator's) door, followed closely by the local authorities.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
So then what happens when the cd gets all dinged up or broken or something? You're just out of luck?
haemphyst 
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
This is why you choose a CD that you won't play very often, OR make a copy, and play the copy. Even in the worst case scenario, If you CAN'T get your CD to work, if you have held on to your receipt, Eclipse will take care of you, for the above mentioned 80 dollars. Either 80 dollars for the Eclipse fix, or go buy another copy of your key CD for 20... your choice.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
As Walter Kronkite used to say - "....and that's the way it is."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

Here is a tad more accurate info. The ESN system works off of a certain "key cd" of the users choice. When the user promts the cd player to "code" the unit, the unit reads the Table of Contents off of said cd and burns it into the EPROM in the cd player. If power is disconnected or the battery dies the cd player will prompt the user to insert the "key cd". If it is the correct one, the unit unlocks and allows the cd player to play. If it is incorrect you get an error message. 5 wrong cd's and the subsequent error message = total unit lockdown and the need to go to a Eclipse authorized dealer.

"So Rob, what happens if I buy my cd player used or it came with the vehicle I bought and the unit is unlocked, what do I do?" You take the unit to a authorized dealer and fill out a Eclipse ESN Change of Owner document. This document has all of your pertinent information and the model#, serial # and the electronic 6 digit alpha numeric lockout code of this particular unit. Once this document has been faxed into Eclipse, Eclipse verifies if the unit is stolen or not. If it is stolen, no soup for you + prosecution unles you came across the unit unbenounced to you (ie: bought with the car and included in the sales receipt or bought somewhere with a sales receipt). If all is well at Eclipse, Eclipse will give the dealer a new rotating 6 digit alpha numeric unlock code for the dealer to unlock your cd player with.

This code is different every single time it is used and is different for all cd players. Use it once and throw it away. There is no other method aside from sending the unit into Eclipse (or Jestar in Canada with a receipt of course) to unlock these cd players.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
I continue to be impressed with Eclipse's ESN system.  Thanks for the explanation, Rob.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Sucks to be the original poster of this thread i have an eclipse stereo - Page 2 -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic