icon

Tweeters in-phase?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

Have a pair of Quart tweeters mounted in the dash firing straight up to the glass, then reflecting back to my ears.  Does this put them out of phase?  I haven't played with it much, but I presumed I'd never hear a difference in-phase or not when they're crossed at 1k.

There's a second set in the rear doors firing inwards, actually at a 90 degree angle to the dash tweeters off the glass.

I guess this will be a pretty theoretical question if anyone can even answer it.  Thanks.

moshpitmickey 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

This will not effect the phase. Usually  hooking one up backwards will do that.

To be honest, I don't think you would be able to tell anyway.

moshpitmickey
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
The question I would want to know from you is "how does it sound"?  If it is pleasing, you hear the highs crisply and in time with the music, and it's not fatiguing over periods of listening...then it is good.  The biggest problem I can foresee you having is excessive lobing caused by playing two sets of tweeters from different locations.  Lobing will cause a diminishment, or cancellation, of sound at various frequencies.  So if the highs seem to drop off at times, those extra tweeters are doing the dirty deed.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
1khz xo point? I'm just curious, how do they sound pushed down that low? What are you using for a crossover?
Stevdart's advice is good. Let your ears be your guide.
If you're really concerned, borrow or buy a mic and some rta software or a separate rta unit. Unless you're getting noticable cancellation I don't think I'd worry about phase too much in car.
That said, I'd heavily attenuate your rear speakers. I'd even more heavily attenuate the rear tweeters.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Lthlquicksilver 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  

The easiest way to see if they are out of phase or not is to play them as is, then switch the polarity on one of them, and try again.  Whichever is louder highs is in phase since when you put speakers out of phase, they effectively cancel a good portion of themselves out.

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

Sound quality is excellent - very crisp & defined, excellent staging, no fatigue at volume for long periods.  It constantly amazes me how good it sounds.  that said, I'm not really trying to solve a problem, just curious about phase "theory" after the waves reflect off of a 45 degree angle, then head towards a different set of drivers playing in a different axis.

The setup is this - '99 Jeep Gr Cherokee w/2 sets Quart 6.5 seperates (the "Reference" series) in F&R doors, the front tweeters in the dash, driven by 2 Soundstream 10.0 class A's @ 4ohm/100wpc.  X-over frequency is whatever the passive Quart x-overs set it at, I think it was 1k, could be 2k?   It's the same front & rear.  JL Stealthbox with a 10" W3 & a Soundstream Rubi throwing another 4-500w that way, actively crossed at 90hz.  Front tweeters are bright, so they're set to -6db.  Rear drivers aren't directly in line with my ears, so I play with the fader a bit to dial them in.

I've no doubt what the consequences of the low end being out of phase & how that cancellation would sound.  I've never known much about how the tweeters would sound out of phase, but I agree that it would probably result in long-term fatigue at the least.  So again, kinda lookin' for some theory from someone smarter than me. 

One day I may get around to pink-noise-ing the set-up, but a little afraid that I'd find a new problem & have to fix that, being a perfectionist.  Can anyone relate to that?  Thanks for the feedback.  Can anyone help with the turn-off thump?  That's really bugging me - check other posts.

Have a great weekend.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

boulderguy wrote:
Can anyone help with the turn-off thump?

geepherder pointed you in a direction that will solve the problem.  As Nike says - "just do it".

Yeah, there have been numerous anal compulsive perfectionists frequenting this board (I'm not one of them) and some still lurking and contributing gold.  Sometimes it takes that kind of mentality to solve problems from afar, like over the internet.  Sometimes, though, it goes too far like when it's your own audio system and you are too severe of a critic.  Your first two sentences in the above post spells out your findings clearly:  don't keep messing with it.  Time to relax and enjoy!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
puting the tweeters like that wouldn't really mess with them, with it bouncing it would throw their timing off.. but not by enough for you to hear, but then rear speakers are never the same distance from you as the fronts. same with left to right.. but the difference of .5 foot or 3 foot in that small of a space doesn't really matter.... plus with tweeters, higher range sound makes it A LOT harder to even hear if they really were wired out of phaze (just for the guy that said to hook one up the other way) i think you'll be fine.. a lot of factory speaker systems use the windsheild to spread out the sound (old monte's, crown vics,, lots of older bigger cars would have the 3.5's aimed right at the windsheild) i think it gives it a good sound, you loose some of that focus on the tweets and it spreads it out...
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:

Sound quality is excellent - very crisp & defined, excellent staging, no fatigue at volume for long periods.  It constantly amazes me how good it sounds.  that said, I'm not really trying to solve a problem, just curious about phase "theory" after the waves reflect off of a 45 degree angle, then head towards a different set of drivers playing in a different axis.

The setup is this - '99 Jeep Gr Cherokee w/2 sets Quart 6.5 seperates (the "Reference" series) in F&R doors, the front tweeters in the dash, driven by 2 Soundstream 10.0 class A's @ 4ohm/100wpc.  X-over frequency is whatever the passive Quart x-overs set it at, I think it was 1k, could be 2k?   It's the same front & rear.  JL Stealthbox with a 10" W3 & a Soundstream Rubi throwing another 4-500w that way, actively crossed at 90hz.  Front tweeters are bright, so they're set to -6db.  Rear drivers aren't directly in line with my ears, so I play with the fader a bit to dial them in.

I've no doubt what the consequences of the low end being out of phase & how that cancellation would sound.  I've never known much about how the tweeters would sound out of phase, but I agree that it would probably result in long-term fatigue at the least.  So again, kinda lookin' for some theory from someone smarter than me. 

One day I may get around to pink-noise-ing the set-up, but a little afraid that I'd find a new problem & have to fix that, being a perfectionist.  Can anyone relate to that?  Thanks for the feedback.  Can anyone help with the turn-off thump?  That's really bugging me - check other posts.

Have a great weekend.

I can relate to the perfectionist thing, but really... if it sounds fine, I wouldn't worry at all about phase.  There are a bunch of people that want phase to perfect, but there's another school of thought that says phase doesn't matter too much if the resulting frequency response is in the right ballpark.  I'm with the second school, especially in-car. 

On the crossover frequency, the passive Quart Reference set is much higher than 1khz.  Try 4.2khz.  See here: http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/mbtech/car_cross_specs.asp  This is actually a -really- good thing for you.  Why?  Because any phase problems based on tweeter positioning are outside of the critical 250-3000hz listening range that really shapes the music and where are ears are the most sensitive.  Your tweeters won't be a full 12db down by 3khz, but they'll be quite attenuated compared to the midrange.  I wouldn't worry about the phase problem.

What one thing might I worry about with a crossover frequency that high and your tweeters positioned like they are?  A frequency response dip between where your midrange starts to rolloff when it is off-axis and where the tweeter picks back up.  This gap could have the tendancy to make your tweeters seem even brighter than they should be relative to your midrange and make your sound seem a bit separated.  In many systems set up the way you describe, there's a tendancy to really be able to pick out the fact that the midrange and tweeters are coming from different sources.  This shouldn't be noticable.  Anyway, I think this actually probably a more serious problem for you than phase, depending on how off axis your midrange speakers are.  How off axis are they?

On both issues, it will all probably boil down to how nuts you become over car audio and getting it perfect.  If either issue is important enough to you, you'll move the midrange and tweeter to the kick panels, with the tweeter as close to the midrange as possible, and both as on-axis as possible.... So, how badly has the audio bug bit you?

Cheers  :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

Good info KFR01, sounds like you really know your stuff.  The passenger door mid is dead-on axis, my door is about 60 degrees off.  that creates a bit of a hole, but not too bad.  You may have something about a dip at the xover point tho, the tweeters do tend to be bright up there.  Maybe I should do that pink noise test.

there is a lot of seperation in the sound, but in a good way, not annoying - more like a good soundstage presence.  The signal processor I use is an Audiocontrol HPX, basically an expansion circuit.  It's the only one that brought life back to MP3's without making it sound too "hot" and annoying.  I like to believe this is creating a lot of the seperation I hear. 

I do hear a different location for mids & tweeters, but the net effect feels more like instruments being spreadout on the stage rather than listening to equipment spread across the stage.  Does that make sense?  My goal is ultimately to listen to the music, not the gear reproducing it.

BTW, nice system you've listed there.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic