the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Tweeters in-phase?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
The net effect of a wide stage makes sense. Most regulars on this board, including myself, always say that if you like it, who cares what the RTA reads or what anyone else says.
Thanks for the compliment, I'm currently working on kicks myself, because my left mid in the door is even more off axis than yours and sounds a little funky as a result. Combine this with the fact that I've officially re-caught the audio bug; let the kick panel construction begin. :-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

I'd say the bug bites me on occasion over the last 20 yrs or so, I play with it until I like it, then leave it alone around the time it starts to own me more than I own it.  What started this episode was the idea of moving the entire music collection to MP3 & having it live permanantly in the car for trips.  Been thru 3 head units in the last month, finally found the right combo in the Alpine 9855 & a big Ipod.

Thought I'd found the holy grail with an in-dash MP3 player w/a hard drive - Dension DH100ix.  Unfortunately the SQ wasn't there at all, reminded me of a cheap CD player.  I imagine that's the direction it'll all go in a few years - a hard drive & electronic music collection.  Exciting to see all the new options in car audio, but disappointing waiting for them to come up to quality listening standards.  Also kind of sad to see all the hype directed towards the equipment over the music.  Heard Bruce Hornsby's "Gonna Be Some Changes"?  Or Verve [records] Remixed 3?  Wow.  Other new favs - Remy Shand, Mars Volta, Joss Stone, Jem, Jamiraquoi, Alana Davis, Maktub.

Pretty happy with the sound & functionality right now, will probably leave it alone for a few years.  Then again I'm due for a new car, probably a Subaru, that'll likely start the whole process over again.  anyway, enough, I'm getting on the bike for a while.  Good luck fiberglassin' those kicks.

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
I need to get that Verve Remixed CD. Verve is my favorite label. (I'm into Jazz). They do an excellent job with the engineering.
I like the idea of electronically stored music, but I rip and store in the lossless flac format. No headunit supports a lossless format yet. As a result, I'm still listening to good old cd's in car. The only time I ever touch cd's at home is to rip them and put them on the shelf.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
you know you can just get a good encoder and encode mp3's at 320 kbs, they sound pretty good if you keep the bitrate high... also.. wav's can be encoded as lossless also,, but then they are the same size as far as memory and you couldn't fit anymore then 10 or 20 on a cd anyways..  
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
kfr01 
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I know. I just dislike the entire concept of a lossy format when archiving music I've bought in redbook format. I want my copies to be perfect. HD space is so cheap it is free. I don't care about portability. Lossy isn't for me.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
yea i know how that is, especialy with that system you have listed, haha, some day they'll come out,, or you can always just get a computer for in ur car... haha
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
But remember you're listening in a car, an imperfect medium at best.  At 320kbs, I have a tough time hearing the difference between CD's & MP3's.  Put me in front of a set of Maggies & a tube amp, the story's different, but I'd need to be driving a Uhaul to do that on the road.  MP3's fine for the car IMO.
kfr01 
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, in-car it surely doesn't matter.
I stay away from lossy formats since there's just no point for me. If I was into portability I'd use them for space reasons. Most of my listening is via headphone or home stereo. So, at home my collection is lossless. There's no motivation for me to have a separate collection for the car. I'm fine with changing cd's manually when in car.
I'm not knocking mp3, it is a very useful format for those who like portability. It would just be silly for me to take that step to lossy when I don't have a reason to.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Yeah, there have been numerous anal compulsive perfectionists frequenting this board (I'm not one of them) and some still lurking and contributing gold.
I'm RIGHT here... sheesh! LOL
Boulderguy, in response to your opening question, and only as a curious by-stander, why did you add the tweeters in the dash? The actual act of reflecting them off the windshield won't SPECIFICALLY make them out of phase, but it can contribute to a possible out of phase condition. When you have two drivers reproducing frequencies of such short wavelengths, (1130/4200=.27ft, or 3.22 inches) the importance of having them close(r) together becomes ever more important. (I think you MAY be doing some bad things to your overall frequency response, but I am in agreement with everybody else - If it feels good, do it...) For this reason, I have removed the tweeters from my rear speakers, and I allow the 6x9's to play full-range, but VERY quiet, relative to the front.
I know of the problems with the passenger/driver door on/off phase issues as well... The sound-power in my '01 Civic is really nice (OK, I can listen to it!) from the passenger's door (around 15 degrees), but pretty horrendous from the driver's side (over 45 degrees for sure). I am in the process of upgrading the front stage to a three way system, using the Adire Extremis (50 to 300), a Vifa MG10MD19-0 (300 to 3.5k or 4k), and my existing Infinity eMit tweeters (the remainder). I do have some pretty powerful equalization available to me, as well, the Altomobile UCSPro, one for the front stage, and one dedicated to the sub. I am HOPING this will fix the sound-power issues throughout the car.
kfr01 and I have had a couple of pretty good conversations re: the pros and cons (mostly cons) of compressed music. Even the high-end Eclipse heads with WMA capability do not do a good job of compressed music playback. Unfortunately, like he says, there are no heads with flac compatibility yet. I will sometimes (when the wife is not with me) carry my laptop with a 40G USB powered hard drive... Hopefully, I will be able to go to a carputer type of setup, soon...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01, I just found out that the (blech) Kenwood MusicKeg supports flac! Available in 10G and 20G flavors, there are apparently 40, 60 and 80G cartridges available for it as well! The unfortunate part is they can only interface with our units via an RFModulator...
This unit looks like the same thing, but there are apparently adapters for various OEM head unit manufacturers... No Eclipse 8443 or 8051... dammit!
This information came from the Sourceforge website. I don't recall seeing it there before, do you?
The Neo does not support flac natively, but I am hoping soon they might have a plug-in for it...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic