icon

Tweeters in-phase?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

I mentioned it before, I think in a few years we'll have gone mostly to an entirely electronic music collection, meaning MP3's or such on hard drives & toss the CD's out the window.  I'm referring to mainstream of course - I still have some virgin vinyl in my collection, but never use it anymore.

Music purchases will be thru the web, downloaded like Itunes.  Satellite radio will feature limitless internet radio choices.  HD-digital radio will go the way of Betamax.  Our home stereo/TV and car stereo will be an extension of the home PC.  Head units will be modelled after this.  (don't get that one, sound quality ain't good).  You will be able to grab the 200gb HD from your headunit, snap it into the computer thru USB (or hell, wireless in your driveway), transfer all your new music in 30 secs & be done.

By 2015, having a CD hanging from your rearview will be the equivelent of fuzzy dice today.  Before all that, I think we'll go to DVD's from MP3-CD's, roughly 10x the size.  Just waiting on the DA converters to be taken seriously.

Just looking in the crystal ball.  I added tweeters to the dash b/c I like the sound there.  Had to play with the angle to get dispersion right, but it works well.

I just re-read this, think I'll make a new thread to stir the pot...

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
kfr01, I just found out that the (blech) Kenwood MusicKeg supports flac! Available in 10G and 20G flavors, there are apparently 40, 60 and 80G cartridges available for it as well! The unfortunate part is they can only interface with our units via an RFModulator...
This unit looks like the same thing, but there are apparently adapters for various OEM head unit manufacturers... No Eclipse 8443 or 8051... dammit!
This information came from the Sourceforge website. I don't recall seeing it there before, do you?
The Neo does not support flac natively, but I am hoping soon they might have a plug-in for it...

Wow!  Those are new and were not on the Sourceforge website as of our last heavy discussion on this topic.  It is encouraging that some car audio products are finally starting to support flac!  Eclipse?  Are you listening?  ;-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
haha that's cool that you found something to suport flac, but if you have to fm modulate then it will sound worse then just havin an mp3 player, haha
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
Yep. Good old redbook in car for me. I'm fine with that.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
what's Redbook?  While we're at it, what's "tweeter Lobing?"
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ok guys just ignore me if this is too off the subject. I've seen some nice installs on some suv's where they did away with all remnants of the factory sound system and replaced it with a computer's sound system. The put the actual pc along with the sub in the back cargo area and 10in touch screen up front. It sounded tremendously crazy! One of my most awe moments. All this talk about sound quality and stuff makes me wonder if the whole in car computer will make a comeback and instead of applications being the primary; sound will be the focus and selling point. The company I work for was one of the biggest driving forces to bring in car computers to the market and today they have given up on it due to lack of sales. I think thats because most people who would pay $1000 bucks or more for something to put in their car are mostly audiophiles like us. And if it don't sound good we ain't gett'in it. I dunno I'm getting side tracked now..
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
That's an interesting option, I think it'll go that way eventually.  You could integrate DSP plug-ins off the web like Izotope Ozone - a phenomenal tube amp emulator.  You could also just use programs like WinAmp & Moodlogic, much easier to choose from the music collection than the standard headunit search functions.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
One of my favorite combos is Winamp with WOWThing. WOWThing is a spacial restoration process, based on the Sony SRS. I am not a big fan of Sony stuff in general, but they did a decent job on this particular plug-in. Winamp is also small, fast, and stable, unlike WMP... Which is FREAKING HUGE, slow, kludgy, and anything BUT stable...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

On this topic, because I still do have a large mp3 collection that I'm slowly moving over to lossless, I have found, taking the advice mp3 nuts on other forums, that these two pieces of software can help make mp3 sound the best it can be.

1)  Shibatch mpg123 input decoder - supports 24-bit upsampling and output, nice if you have a 24-bit soundcard.  The 16-bit output is also regarded as cleaner than the default winamp decoder.

2)  ASIO output plug-in.  Allows the bypassing of the windows API and communication directly with the sound card.  This cleans things up some.  Check that you have an ASIO compatable soundcard before using this.

Boulderguy, you asked what Redbook Audio and Tweeter Lobing are.

Redbook Audio is just the standard retail cd format.

Tweeter Lobing:  (slightly more complex)

I've been searching for a nice graphical representation of tweeter lobing, and finally found one.  Look here:  http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/BaffledPiston/BaffledPiston.html

Alright.  Speakers beam energy in lobes.  (A lobe is just some sort of rounded projection).  Scroll down on the linked page about 3/4 of the way down to the heading of "High Frequency."  You'll see that in contrast to low and medium frequencie radiators a high frequency radiator (your tweeter) produces multiple lobes.  Between these lobes are dead spots.  The main lobe is relatively narrow.  In the pictures on that page, you can see that it is optimal to locate the tweeter under 20 degrees off axis.  The dead spots are caused by cancellation.  The side lobes and main lobe have different phase relationships.  As you can see in this next link, here:

http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/superposition/superposition.html

under the heading "Two sine waves travelling in the same direction: Constructive and Destructive Interference," "when two waves have opposite-phase [180 degree difference], they interfere destructively and cancel each other out." 

This cancelation can also happen near the crossover point if your tweeter and midrange driver are not as close as possible.  This happens because your midrange and tweeter are essentially playing the same frequencies with similar amplitude near your crossover point.  You have two radiating sources.  Their waves head out and are either constructive or destructive.  At and around the crossover point you want constructive interference - keeping the frequency response flat i.e. briding the gap between the drivers.  Constructive interference is easiest to obtain if the drivers are on-axis and close together. 

Haemphyst once had a nice plain-language explanation that went something like this.  Two speakers are two radiating sources - like two stones thrown into a pond.  If thrown some distance apart they create two distinct circular ripples.  When the ripple edges meet, assuming the stones were the same size, they cancel out.  However, if two stones are dropped very close together they seemingly create one circular ripple together.  This is similar to the additive or constructive effect we want near our crossover point between the midrange and tweeter. 

Haemphyst, Dyohn, others, let me know if I can add to any of this. 

5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
"I see!" said the blind man.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic