icon

thickness of wood

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silverado94 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

i just installed a set of street edge 200 watt 12's in a sealed box and it's to big for anyone to sit in the back seat. what kind of wood should i buy to build the new sealed box's. i would rather have the sub's away from each other than them being in 1 spot.

FYI: the head unit is pioneer 200 watt's, pioneer 6x9's 200 watt's each, california profile msx 600 watt amp, street edge 12's in 1 sealed box rated at 200 watt's each. total wattage = 410. not bad for a small upgrade ....amp, sub's, box, wire kit out the door $200.00

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Usually 3/4" mdf is ideal, if you use 1/2" you may need to brace it internally but you are not running huge power so    either way should be ok.
Just make sure that you match the volume requirement for the subs other wise you will be disappointed in the sound.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
1) Why move the subs away from each other? It is usually better to have them in the same plane and as close as possible.
2) Use 3/4" MDF.
3) As dwarren said, look up the specs of your subs so you don't make the box too small. It simply won't sound good if you cramp them.
4) Buy some stuffing for boxes. It will make the woofer behave as if it were in a slightly larger box.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
silverado94 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

ok would matting work to fill the space to make more hard hitting bass ? . 

another question is my g/f has a 2000 windstar she want's a powerd sub placed in the rear . what's the best way to wire this sub up without pulling up door seal guard's . since i don't have the right tool for those

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Matting takes up space, it doesn't make the woofer behave like there's more. Matting would give you the opposite effect.
This is the product I mean:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-317
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
in my experience matting doesn't really help at all, use 3/4 or 5/8 mdf,, what kind of a tool do you need to pull up that gard? isn't it just clips?
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
by the way, you pick up that poly fill, or a.k.a pillow stuffing at most craft stores like ben franklins, etc.
silverado94 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

this poly-fill just how much would i need to fill up the space ? . btw this box i have is made by BASSWORX  Dual 12" . so i'm not sure how much to add

btw on the door seal's ....i see any clip's there so tight to the floor and i've been using a flat gasket scraper with no luck to pull these up .  

kfr01 
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
I would rebuild your box using the subwoofer specifications. Use 3/4" MDF. Stuff the box lightly, 100%.
silverado94 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
if i just pulled the 12's out and filled the box half way with poly-fill . would it sound better because i really don't want to rip apart the box . i do know it's built with a devider inside . these street edge sub's hit hard but i want to make em hit just a bit more .  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic