icon

10in under passenger seat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Thorin_II 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys.. tell me if u think im insane.  dont know a whole lot about car stereos, some of the setup info is messing with my head right now.  but in the mean time let me tell u about my idea for the setup

10 inch sony sub under the pasenger seat.  theres just enough volume under the seat to match the specs, but when u add the driver itself it will be under so i was gonna put some foam carpet underlay stuff in the box to get up to the right suspension.  my only concern is that the driver is going to be right in the padding for the seat.  the only part of the box that will be open to air will be the front and back of the box, which will only be about 5 inches tall, with the driver mounted upwards.

now concerns i have are, how do i know how much padding to put in?  will too much padding give me trouble?  and does the driver stand to get damaged by facing up?  and again, how muffled will the sound be if the driver is butted right up to 4 inches of foam?

any other concerns or thoughts are appreciated.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

Subs need room to breath (at least an 1.5" or so in front of them). You don't want the cone or surround hitting the seat. This could damage the sub and make it sound like crap.

The trunk is usually the best location for a sub in a car. You could try fiberglassing an enclosure if you have a storage pocket or some unused space.

If you still want to determine if your sub could be used in a downfiring or upfiring position you can use this simple calculator. http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/sag.htm

Thorin_II 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

ok so if i could manage to give it a little bit of breathing room.. just enough of a gap so that theres atleast an air flow over the driver?  im really set on doing it like this cause i use my trunk space a lot, moving furniture and stuff.. in my escourt, i know.  anyways.

so just try for a little gap, enough to not impede the airflow.. and obbviousely so theres enough room for a full stroke on the driver.  right?

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

www.earthquakesound.com   go here and look at the SWS (shallow woofer system)

A 12 that mounts in 3 inches of depth, a 10 in 2.5.....they work real well.

Thorin_II 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
ah here in lies the issue.. a friend of mine has the sony 10" sub, never been used, will sell it to me for 40$ CDN so, thats a killer deal.  if it werent for the fact that he has the sub, i probably wouldnt be putting a sub into my car at all. 
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Put the sub in a location other than under the seat. It will probably sound better as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Do NOT have the subwoofer touching anything! Put a grill on the woofer if you have to. You'll harm the driver otherwise.
$40 for a sub most people wouldn't buy, and that doesn't work well in your car, isn't a killer deal. :(
Resell the sub to someone else and get something that works for -your- car.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Thorin_II 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

again.  its cheap.  its the only way im going to have a sub.  its this one or no one.  regardless i understand that it wont go under the seat.  im better about that, yes, but im just gonna rethink as to where to put the thing. 

thanks for the help.

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

What type of car are we talking about here. It might help us help you if we knew the vehicle make.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Thorin_II 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

96 escourt hatchback + 10" sony sub

i cant get it under the front seat, thats clear now, and so now im just conpemplating if i want the trouble.  i dont like the idea of having it in my trunk.  i use it too much.  it would have to be some where along the back wall or something.  either way.. im just gonna figure out where i want it now and tackle it from there.

again, thanks for the help

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic