icon

10in under passenger seat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Thorin_II 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
wheres the logic behind being as far away from the sub as possible?  sound dissapates over distance, it doesnt get louder.  and if being as far away fromt he sub as possible has something to do with the wave lengths, again im going for a very wide range here.  i want this thing more or less for the 100-2500 Hz range.  im not looking for 10 Hz bump.  plus the majority of the sound im looking for WILL be higher than 200 Hz so i defintiely want the driver pointed to the ocupants.
Masta N 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
For SQ, having the subs as far away as possible is a good thing because it gives the wave more time to form. SPL applications warrant having the subs as close as possible for better pressure retention.
PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

Thorin_II wrote:
wheres the logic behind being as far away from the sub as possible?  sound dissapates over distance, it doesnt get louder.  and if being as far away fromt he sub as possible has something to do with the wave lengths, again im going for a very wide range here.  i want this thing more or less for the 100-2500 Hz range.  im not looking for 10 Hz bump.  plus the majority of the sound im looking for WILL be higher than 200 Hz so i defintiely want the driver pointed to the ocupants.

i hear where you're coming from friend...of course the sound dissapates over the distance (as we all know) but we're just talking about inside of the not so friendly environment of the vehicle....we want to be able to use the most out of our components/equipment.....if you want to mount anything under the actual seat then (IMO) i'd suggest a shaker of some type...

*paw print*
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=Masta N]For SQ, having the subs as far away as possible is a good thing because it gives the wave more time to form.QUOTE]

It dosn't really have to do with the "wave devolping." It has to do with cancellation. Read this article about it. http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Customsuburb is exactly right.  It has nothing to do with the wave forming.  It was explained to me once as dropping a rock in the pond and watching the ripples.  If you drop a rock in the middle, the ripples aren't very big, but drop it in a corner, and they're much bigger.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

yea, that way you get more of the sound actually focuse together at the drivers seat,

if it's right under you,, you get the first bass, and all the reverberations off the rest of the car, it makes it sound like mush

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Masta N 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
You guys with the pond example have made my point for me.
Masta N 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Then pond example that was explained to me was if you are at the point of impact of the rock in the pond, then you are subject to the distortions of the impact. The further you move away from the impact, the more smooth and defined the wave becomes. Hence having the subs farther away allows for a smoother response
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Umm, why do you want the subs playing from 100hz-2500hz. Thats not a good idea. Ideal crossover points for a car sub are somewhere in the neighbor hood of 80hz and down, in some cases around 120-130 and down. You other speakers in the vehicle can easily pick up the rest of the frequencies. I CANNOT SUGGEST CROSSING OVER THE SUB AT 2500HZ. It would sound like udder shhh. You have to remeber that this is a sub woofer and not a PA speaker like what is used for live music
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Thorin_II 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

im not going to try to blow the sub.  http://www.epinions.com/content_37517561476?sp=irev

unless im wrong.. looks like the sub will be just fine up to 2500.  its almost a mid-bass, if you want to call it that.  like i said.  i dont want a stereo that bumps.  i find that almost annoying to hear.  i just love the >100Hz range.  i saw the piece last night and its got a pretty stiff suspension.  im gonna drop by some shops and see what they think about the whole idea.  but i know now that it will fit and i have a feeling that the driver wont suffer a whole lot of damage due to sag.  besides, i cant see the effects of sag getting to this speaker before i blow the thing anyways cause i have a feeling i will.
i havent been able to find a responce curve for the driver.  its not on sony's site and i cant find any online references to it.  and my friend doesnt have the guide.

Raven: now that u know what the responce range is for the driver, do u still think i stand to damage it?  and i think ill be looking into how much of a capacitor (or inductor) i need to filter out the really low end bass,.. cause like i said.. i really dont like the "bump"  i dont listen to dance, and i think it will be much better for the driver if its not subjected to those first few waves.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic