icon

Quick Line Converter Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ajbringle 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
I have to install a 2 channel amp w/ line converter and just want to know if I should use both the front and rear L/R into the converer, or only the front OR rear off the stock HU.
ajbringle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

I know this is a simple question but I just want a second opinion.  Can anyone help me out before I go out the garage and start tearing apart the dash.    Once I start I generally like to finish in one fel swoop.

mobileworks 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

If your line out converter has four inputs then I would just tie into the rears or just the fronts.  Now most line out converters are only two channel in which case just wire it up to the rears.

Does that help?

ajbringle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe a bit more info will help...

The factory HU doesn't have RCA output so I have to use a line level converter because my amp doesn't have line inputs (only RCA).

The amp is a 2 channel and I am going to install into a dakota w/ 4 drivers.  I just want to know if I have to connect both the front AND rear lines out of the HU to the line converter or if can use only the front OR rear.

Stereo is stereo right?  I just a simple left and right channel to input then i will connect the outputs so I will effectivly drive 4 channels from 2. I know I will lose "Fade" on the HU, but thats the price I pay for being to cheap to buy a new 4 Channel .

Any help would be nice.

ajbringle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Mobileworks  do you see what I am getting at.  Is it necessary to tie all four outputs from the HU to the 2 inputs of the line conv?  It is a 2 channel conv. I just don't want to overload it or "dirty" up the signal to the amp. 

It is my understanding that there is no diff. between the front and rear channels.  They are both "stereo"  so in theory either one would be enough to feed the conv. which will send to the amp (2 channel), which will be wired to all 4 drivers in my turck.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Use just one of either.  Front is better because you will still want to fade the rear speakers out some and this fading (attenuation) won't also attenuate what you have hooked up at the amp.  By tapping into the OEM speaker wires, you will pick up voltage for signal input to the amp.  If the OEM wires are still connected to the speakers, they will be powered with deck power.

A speaker load on an amp, be it the deck or the aftermarket amp, will cause the amp to produce power.  No load, no power.  If the speakers are powered by the new amp, the deck will still function as normal but will not produce power.

So what do you mean by saying you want to "boost" the stock head unit?  Either the head unit will be connected to speakers and provide the power...or the amp will be connected to speakers and provide the power.  Not both to the same speakers.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ajbringle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to use the amp to drive all 4 drivers,  not the HU.  The amp has RCA input and the HU doesn't have RCA Output so the conv. is the only way to get the signal to the amp.

Since I am using a 2 channel amp to power fron the rear speakers I won't have Fade anyway, only Balance no?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
You have a two channel amp, so a two channel LOC is appropriate.  However, it is not appropriate to connect two sets of speakers to a two channel amp...it can be done but there is this thing called SQ to be concerned with.  Best bet in your situation is to power the front speakers with the amp and leave the rear speakers connected to the deck for their power,
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ajbringle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

I am assuming SQ is sound quality, and I see your point.   I just don't want to splurge on a new 4 channel  becuase I have the 2 ch. laying around collecting duet.

This no comp. stereo it just my daily driver... a dodge dakota.  I don't have any sups, just want to up the SQ.

Still advise the same approach.?  Will powering just the rears make the HU more effective for those drivers (probably).?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
There will be more distortion at 2 ohms (which is the load the two sets of speakers would put on each channel of your amp). Just power the rear speakers with the deck power. They should only be for rear fill anyways.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic