icon

SQ Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for something that can produce a really high level of sound quality and can get fairly powerful in a single sub or dual sub setup. (1000wRMS will probably be sufficient, might not mind going up to 1500wRMS). I have personally heard a 13w7 in a ported box, and well, I entirely loved the quality I heard. I'd probably be looking to go sealed and am not sure how'd that work with that sub. Ontop of that, well, locally that thing is freaking over $800 and that's hefty right now. Just wanting to get option of decent comparable to search out and here. Trying to keep a smaller price tag, but I also don't wanna lose a serious amount of quality doing so.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
Well, Adire's 12" Tumult will probably retail around $600 when it comes out. The sound quality from Adire's XBL woofers is really excellent. This will be a strong competitor against the JL.
http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/TumultSeries.htm
The Brahma series will give similar sound quality, but has less excursion and handles less power. That said, you'll be able to get 2 Brahma 12"s for less than $800. Sound quality will be comparable.
Anyway, I'm not sure if you've heard an Adire XBL2 enabled sub or not, but the ones I've listened to have turned me into a believer. Clean and fast bass. I'll probably be picking up a single Brahma 10 or 12 for sound quality listening when the new line hits dealers.
Having said all that, I'd also check out offerings from Eclipse and Image Dynamics.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
SQ+Subs= JL W7(any size)
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
From the Adire Audio Brahma 12 that I've heard, I can say nothing but good things about they're XBL^2 technology. The specs on they're new lineup are up on their website, and they now have 3 subs with all sorts of sizes with XBL^2. Adire offers a lot for the dollar.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
spyder340 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
i've always liked the sound of kicker compvr's, and the new ones sound amazing.  also check out some soundstream stuff.
96 firechicken- kicker cvr 15's, spl 1600 watt, optima yellow top, 2.0 farad cap, sealed box and 146.8 db :)<---now upto 147.2 S2 meca class, going for 128 on a drive by :)
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

I'm currently wanting to wade from Kicker, I fear the mass marketting method they are going is gonna, well, take care of them. And not the good kind for audio guys.

I wanna really look into the XBL tech, I wish there was something local to hear. But if it is comparable to w7 quality then it is probably even worth a purchase. I actually can find a use for both the low poweRED / low excursion setup with one friend if he ever gets around to it(He wants it loud, but wants quality higher and works on a tight budget, which this sounds to suit best) and another who wants to quality and power to boom like hell.

I'll dig my head into the Adire/Brahma crew and see what I like. Thanks for the tips guys, always appreciated.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
Ok now the next stage of this. What company is producing some good amps that'll push subs? Not looking for anything specific other than something that can go along with a good SQ level. (Probably looking at the w7s or the Tumults now, not 100% decided on anything yet as this is really a later stage of my project.) Just looking for some good companies. :) Thank you!
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
I'd say go with two Infinity Kappa Perfects.
My only problem with subs like the Brahma, and the W7 and other "High End" subs is that they're so damn inefficient.
Paul
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
The Eclipse Ti12 - 1 cuft sealed - I am beatin' mine with 2700 watts, although you don't NEED that much. 1500w RMS, 3 inch linear Xmax... Best thing going out there, except the Tumult, which can only be bought right now with LARGE amounts of Unobtanium...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
-mtx amplifiers-
-JL amplifiers-
(*please note I didn't write alpine)
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic