icon

6 1/2 Mid woofers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ajbringle 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone have input on 6 1/2 mid-woofers for rear sound in an extended cab Dodge Dakota.  I have added tweeters up front in the sail panels already, and have amped the front channel.

I want to add some bass to the sound w/o a sub box and another amp.  Just curious if anyone has had good luck with small woofers like these.  I am not expecting mirror shaking bass, but would like to get some more low than a component 6 1/2?

Thanx

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

Look at the Kicked SSMB6 series, nice mid bass with little space.

http://www.kicker.com/05/05kicker.html

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
ajbringle:
"I want to add some bass to the sound w/o a sub box and another amp."
See that's kinda the thing... 'some bass' doesn't really come without, at least, *some* power. You can get away without the subbox easy enough... finding an infinite baffle speaker with good sq isn't particularly difficult. But if you desire anysort of bass-response you need to have more than the 22-watts or so coming from (I hope) your aftermarket HU. Lower frequencies require magnitudes of power greater than higher frequencies to sound as good.. I'm not saying a big monoblock is the only way to go, but HU power really isn't going to give you much in the way of bass at all... 'mirror-shaking' or not.
"would like to get some more low than a component 6 1/2"
Experiencially, I'd have to tell you that a 6.5" speaker simply does not play well much below 80hz or so, even when being plied with significant power. I've always wanted to try something like this, but I've never really had an appropriate application.. and u did say you were not interested in an enclosure.
Do one of these two things:
1)Look for an infinite-baffle midwoofer in your price range and see if it does you okay... if not, you'll need to bite it and get another.. even a small amp.
2)Change your mind and decide that a small amp and a single 10" is just what you need. 6 1/2 Mid woofers? -- posted image.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

I listened to a Porsche Turbo today with a set of 6.5" mid woofer drivers. They were some older ADS mid woofers. The guy is into jazz and really liked the punchy  bass they produced. He also wants four of them in his Cayenne. I was impressed but a true 8" or 10" in a properly sealed enclosure is more my taste.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren:
A friend of mine had a 6.5" ADS comp set getting 100watts or so (I don't remember, it was getting a bridged soundstream rubicon) in a Sentra a few years back... they had hella midbass response ... but the overall volume was rather underwhelming and... like I said... they were getting 100watts a piece.
It is just my sense of things that this particular poster isn't going to get what he wants from a new set of infinite baffle mid-woofers... especially given the power he has to dedicate to them.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

The woofers i was reffering to are dedicated mid-woofers, not from a compoment system. I believe they are capable of playing lower frequencies. But again this was based on the taste of the customer, he likes it and it meets his needs.

Whether or not it will satisy ajbringle is another story indeed. 

You, aj, may want to really reconsider your idea. A three way system with dedicated 8"s in the door would really do you well.

drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
There are quite a few manufacturers making small mid-bass and woofers these days. The Kicker mentioned earlier is one. JL also makes a 6W0 (6" Subwoofer) and Focal (EXCELLENT SQ) makes a 5-3/8" subwoofer (5WS). There are speakers out there that are probably capable of doing what you want, however its going to be rare for you to find something already done that you can hear using these products. You will probably have to end up going out on a limb taking a risk and buying a product you may not have heard before.
Ive personally wanted to try the Focal 5WS before but never got around to it. Problem still with it and the 6W0 is (as previously stated) they need to be amped, and neither of them is going to give much mid-bass or low frequency output without an enclosure (even if it were fiberglassed into your door panel).
Good luck.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
Good answer, drvnbysound. :-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
ajbringle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks to all of you, and by the way I guess I wasn't specific about the power situation... my fauit.

I have a channel on the amp I have already to throw at the rear channel, I just don't wanna add another amp.  I got the current one under the drivers seat (nice and neat I might add) powering just the front stage, but don't want to have to install another one under the passenger side to power a box.  I don't want to affect the "Stock" interior (and don't have the money to get the "MTX" Stealth box for my truck).

I just wanted to replace the rear stock paper 10W RMS w/ a nice punchy mid-bass or sub that would fit in the stock location.

ajbringle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah sorry .... forgot to say also that I am not looking for the typical 2 10"s with super lows,  Just a punchy mid to low that will round out the overall sound.   Have had boxs in all my previous vehicles and this time round I don't have the space or desire to be heard a mile away.

LOud and Clear is my goal.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic