icon

had an uh oh

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
ok i was driving along at about 60 kms/hr, running at about 3500rmps, and i was playing this one song by kansas - dust in the wind, anyways it was playing loud, finally it was over, next song came on, it was a dance song and the bass hit, my system cut out, but my deck was still playing my fronts (which my fronts are hooked up to) i came home and checked to see if it was the fuse near the battery, its not blown and i couldnt do much in the dark.
my system is hooked up like as follows:
kenwood excelon deck kdc-x679
kenwood amp kac-8101D
kenwood amp kac-8401
6.5"s pioneer fronts (which are hooked up to the deck)
6.5"s pioneer rears (which are hooked up to the 8401amp)
2 12" MA audio 12D6 subs (hooked up to the 8101D amp)
rockford fosgate cap 1 farad
now for the setup on how i ran the wires :
from the deck i ran the remote wire to a toggle switch, in turn that wire from the toggle switch is going to my underdash lights toggle switch, which is then going to my amps. i have the power wire for my amps, running to my cap and the ground also, then from my cap i have the wires running to two diff distro blocks, one for power and ground, then having the power and ground wires running to my amps. i have 3 sets of RCA's, one for sub output and 2 for the line outs for the fronts and rears, running to the amps. my subs are wired in para/para to get an ohm load of 1.5 for the 8101D amp. my gains for the 8401 are set under half and they have a HP filter set to 220 to knock off the bass, the gain on the 8101D amp is set to just under half.
now when i have the deck on. i can switch on my underdash lights and they work...but there is no sound coming from my rear speakers or my subs.
tomorrow i'm going to be checking the fuses on the amps to see if they're blown. i just hope nothing happend to the amps themselves. please help, and i would greatly appreciate it.
OH AND DONT BE CRITICISING ABOUT THE SYSTEM I HAVE, I KNOW WHAT I HAVE AND I DONT NEED ANYTHING BETTER. I LIKE IT THE WAY IT IS!
xTimx
Daz7906 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Did this happen right after you hooked up the system or did it happen later on?
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
it happend later on. it was actually cutting out now and then, i would just turn off my deck, and then turn it on and everything would work fine! but now it just cut out altogether...turned off the HU, then back on. nothing...even tried to take off the HU faceplate and put it back on and see if it would work haha!
xTimx
Daz7906 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

I don't think this will fix the problem but just an idea.....  when I'm running multiple things (amps, fans, etc.)  off the remote turn on the HU I like to run it to a relay and have it power  everything.

How solid is the ground? some times a faulty ground can cause the amp to shut off.  

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

I just wanted to say that Dust in the Wind is an awesome song.

Good luck in figuring out the problem.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
The 1.5 ohm load is too low for the Kenwood amp.  Minimum load rating is 2 ohms.  What kind of enclosure are those MA subs in?  How did you decide the gain setting was correct?  I hope you are not powering your inderr-dash lights from the remote power supply off your deck.
Support the12volt.com
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
The 1.5 ohm load is too low for the Kenwood amp.  Minimum load rating is 2 ohms.  What kind of enclosure are those MA subs in?  How did you decide the gain setting was correct?  I hope you are not powering your inderr-dash lights from the remote power supply off your deck.
the amp can handle 1 ohm load, i phoned kenwood and they said yes, the MA subs are in a sealed enclouser 3.0 dual chamber. so each sub has 1.5cu^. the gains setting was done by an installer. probably by turning up the hu to 3/4 of the way and then turning the gains up for the speakers till you hear the distortion then turning them down just a lil to get the max volume out of the speakers. and yes the underdash lights are powered from the remote power supply off the deck.
xTimx
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

The instructions that came with my Soundstream amp said it was stable down to 1/4 ohm.  However when I ran it at 1 ohm both 25 amp fuses on the amplifier blew.  The problem comes from the non-standard DCR's used in some subwoofers.  This is purely speculation, but if Kenwood's speakers have a high DCR (4 ohm instead of the standard 3.2 ohms on a 4 ohm sub) compared to most then yes their amp could probably run their subs at the lower "rated" impedance.  This is because the true impedance is much higher.  However when you try to run a sub with a more accurate DCR, the amplifier becomes unhappy.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
xTimx wrote:
6.5"s pioneer rears (which are hooked up to the 8401amp)
2 12" MA audio 12D6 subs (hooked up to the 8101D amp)
now for the setup on how i ran the wires :
from the deck i ran the remote wire to a toggle switch, in turn that wire from the toggle switch is going to my underdash lights toggle switch, which is then going to my amps. ...
now when i have the deck on. i can switch on my underdash lights and they work...but there is no sound coming from my rear speakers or my subs.
Being that both amplifiers stopped playing, sounds to me like you have too many things connected to the remote turn on lead from your head unit. Have you checked the remote turn on leads at the two amplifiers? Even if you show voltage on these, I'd still try applying 12V+ to each of them from another source such as the main power leads going to each to see if this resolves your problem. Regardless, I'd strongly suggest adding a relay to the remote turn on lead from your head unit to power all the items you've listed.
~wirewise~
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

xTimx wrote:
DYohn wrote:
the amp can handle 1 ohm load, i phoned kenwood and they said yes, the MA subs are in a sealed enclouser 3.0 dual chamber. so each sub has 1.5cu^. the gains setting was done by an installer. probably by turning up the hu to 3/4 of the way and then turning the gains up for the speakers till you hear the distortion then turning them down just a lil to get the max volume out of the speakers. and yes the underdash lights are powered from the remote power supply off the deck.

BLeh. Disconnect those underdash lights from your remote turn on. See if that helps. Also make sure all your wires are connected securely and that you have good grounds at your amps and deck.

I just looked at your deck and it supposedly has 5 volt preouts. If this is the case then the gains are set way to high if they are halfway up. Get out a dmm and a test disc and set them yourself.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic