icon

best headunit for SPL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

i plan on replacing my wifes sony cdx 710 with a new head unit  because the preamp outputs are weak  any suggestions   " she is a SPL junky  "

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
Any Eclipse will fit this need.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
There is no such thing as a HU that is better than another "for SPL". ANY head will allow pretty much any amplifier to make maximum output - it's all about setting the gain (or more correctly, matching the output of the deck to the input of the amp).
Maybe what is really neede is one of two things:
1: Better sensitivity speakers
2: More powerful amplifiers
A combination of both could also work, a synergy, if you will...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

ok thanks  i will look at the eclipse head units and i will also check the gain on the amp

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
uchm12 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

Look for amps that have 4v preouts like alpines, because thei is a big difference in the amp when the subout is adjusted, just my 2cents

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
or 8 volt Eclipse's , te he he
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst, I'm not sure if you were aware of this or not but here is a little more info on Eclipse in general. When it comes to spl I would much rather have a laser sled that has a differentially tuned suspension system and is tuned to resonate at 19 hz over one that does uses the same isolators on all points and is tuned to 60 hz. Just another little thing to throw into the mix about a cd player and SPL. If the frequency being produced has enough amplitude, it will cause the laser to skip. An easy thing to do up around 60 hz but so much harder to do at 19hz. Next a 5 servos that react instantly to real world conditions, other cd players on the market do not have these servos. Constant linear velocity, constant heat, constant distance to the disc, and another two that are escaping me for the moment.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

haemphyst, I'm not sure if you were aware of this or not but here is a little more info on Eclipse in general. When it comes to spl I would much rather have a laser sled that has a differentially tuned suspension system and is tuned to resonate at 19 hz over one that does uses the same isolators on all points and is tuned to 60 hz. Just another little thing to throw into the mix about a cd player and SPL. If the frequency being produced has enough amplitude, it will cause the laser to skip. An easy thing to do up around 60 hz but so much harder to do at 19hz. Next a 5 servos that react instantly to real world conditions, other cd players on the market do not have these servos. Constant linear velocity, constant heat, constant distance to the disc, and another two that are escaping me for the moment.

Well smack my ass and call me Sally! I never know all that stuff would make it PLAY LOUDER... I have an Eclispe deck, also, the venerable 8051, and it is an EXCELLENT deck, but my system would play JUST as loud with a crappy Sony in it's place, *IF* I were to set the gains properly... Am I right?
Just messin' with ya Rob... I know the Eclipse decks are good gear, but I thought I answered the question... All that stuff will KEEP it playing more accurately, but not necessarily any louder...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
Whats the point of being loud if you get a 1/4 second burp and have to wait another 5 seconds for it to find the song again... then it repeats the process? An SPL deck would have to be able to get around a skipping problem...
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
haemphyst 
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
They don't use decks in burp competitions... They have "Burp Buttons"...
I think that's correct, I don't *DO* SPL stuff. Anybody that knows better, please correct me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic