the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

best headunit for SPL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Well Sally, I see your point and agree with it as well. Where I was going was read from the topic title and the increase in SPL in most vehicles directly relates to the transport vibration worse than a bowl of jello in an earthquake. So I guess we are both right, just two different ways to interprete the same question. Another contender here is the MB Quart NRA450 with the 30second anti skip buffer and high voltage low impedence outputs. Get them before they are gone though, they are no longer in production.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
They also have a podium so skipping would not be an issue. Im talking about street bumping. The bass will make a 1/4 to 1 second burp of bass, then skip and need to find the track. If you plan to keep the deck in dash, and plan to run 145+ (especialy once you get 150+) dB, youll need a deck that wont skip that easily.
If you want to swap decks to try to get more dBs, the most i have ever heard anybody gaining is .3 from a deck swap, which is VERY inaudible (was on termpro a few years back... think it was a pioneer). So dont swap decks for SPL unless you have skipping problem.
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

well the thing is i was just wondering if any head unit would better than another because i dont like the sony i hate everything about it im going to swap it out anyway  and if i could gain some SPL with a new head unit that would be a plus .im looking at some new head unit thanks for all the info

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
OH if you have a sony than upgrade to ANYTHING! hehehe
I use pioneer decks myself, but everybody has their opinion. Just go to any dealer you can find and play with all their decks. Just stay away from brands like Sony and JVC (JVC from personal experiance, many times). Kenwood, Pioneer, Eclipse, Nak, Clarion (cept scratched CDs), Panasonic... any of those guys will give you a deck that will be far better than a sony and take the SPL levels pretty well.
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Forbidden & hamfist:

Hehe listen to you guys "laser sled servos" and "Slap me and call me Sally" and what-not! Everyone else too... 

I've had the "bass-skips-the-CD" problem before and I've *never* had $500 to throw at an Eclipse HU to solve the problem.  Ya know what is practically free?  Weather-strip the deck.  For $2.50 you can grab a bunch of closed-cell foam weather-stripping and then just put bits of it over the screw holes that attach the deck to the frame of the car.  Take the DIN housing out and weather strip over where the bolts attach that to the frame of the car.  Then just attach everything normally... bolting and screwing through the weatherstripping.  The foam will absorb huge amounts of vibration. 

Track 2 on Eazy-E's It's On has some of the most vicious bass drops I've ever heard... way more fun than even bass-mekanik or tone CD's...  it would knock my Alpine CDA-9833 out for a solid 4 or 5 seconds a shot... for 10" of 1/4" weather stripping and about 25 minutes .. never had the problem again..  stops skipping over cobble-stone roads and stuff too.  (Cobblestone is *all over* downtown Richmond.  Its disgusting.)

Nodestiny:

Yea for massmarketed stuff that *everyone* has.. Pioneer makes an absolutely outstanding product... I had a Pioneer 7600MP ($225) that I replaced with an Alpine CDA-9833 ($350) (for that matter, what thieves steal two amps, two subs and *only* the face of a deck?) and the Alpine is easily the inferior product... in every respect... despite much, much better manf. specs.  The only thing I can give the Alpine is the fact that it can find MP3's a wee bit quicker.  The freaking little "///Alpine" badge on the upper right corner of the deck is even peeling off!!

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
sedate, you are bang on with what you say, what it is doing though is addressing a resonant frequency issue that is travelling through the mount of the vehicle and into the cd player. The devices that Eclipse for example uses is designed to aid the laser sled and pickup not only with a resonant frequency issue like the one you have presented, but also from the acoustic shockwave direct from a sub as well. Slap me and call me Sally, haha.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm.  Okay I'm still behind the rest of the class Forbidden...

All that resonant frequency servo.... what?  You're trying to say that the little part of CD player that points the laser at the disc has a resonant frequency and this usually happens to be at 60hz, making it prone to vibration during bass-notes and Eclipse HU's have a 'tuned' little laser servo sled device that is much lower helping prevent that sonic occurance? 

While my Home-Depot solution only address direct acoustic shockwave?

Huh?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
forbidden 
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

No, your great home depot solution is designed to isolate the chassis of the cd player from the chassis of the vehicle, thus aiding in keeping a resonant frequency of the dash (a much larger area to collect from) from travelling into the chassis of the cd player. And it works great as well. I will gather the tech info from Eclipse on the servo's, what they are designed to do and the low resonant frequency laser sled and post the info for all to see. This may take me a bit as I am super busy here at the shop right now but I will find it.

PS. I think you are far from behind in the class.

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
i found my new H/U it's the pioneer premier DEH P 770 MP for $199 plus shipping .thanks for the info
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sedate makes me laugh lol, but honestly go with the head unit that provides the highest voltage output. I'd go NAKAMICHI (obviously) or naturally eclipse makes those 8V buggers that are really nice. I'd prolly use one of those since the nak's only go up to 5V :( but hey, either one has good sound quality... but i can't think of a deck that has high pre-out voltage with high or medium distortion... Perhaps that PYLE stuff might do the trick ! :) lol
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic