icon

Noise in speakers from amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bodybuilder 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have 3 amps in my car. 2 power subs, one powers all my other speakers. Now the problem I'm having is with the one that's powering my speakers. I'm getting a hum through my speakers that's annoying. It doesn't go up and down with the volume. So you only hear it when the volume is low or between tracks. It picks up this noise through the power supply. when I rev the motor, the hum will change with the revving of the motor. Or if I hook up a battery charger to the car, the humming from the battery charger goes right through and out the speakers. It sounds fiarly decent when I don't have the car on and just fire it up directly from the battery without the alternator or a battery charger. It seems realy hypersensitive to picking up noise through the power supply. I'm wondering if it's cause the amp is a piece of shhh, or if it's because I ran my main power wire alongside my RCA cables. I didn't find out till after that it's better to run the RCA's away from the power supply cable. These are all Kenwood amps.
Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
because if someone's leading the way, the best you'll ever be is second
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Could be the power being on side of your RCA's, But before pulling all your install out to re-run, I would check your grounds, make sure you have a good chassis ground ( no paint, secure ) and also check the resistance of your grounds.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
if the problem is not in your ground which i dont think it is rerun the RCA's and if they are cheep RCA's upgrade to some JL or fosgate RCA's and run them down the other side of the car also try putting eletrical tape over the RCA's were they are connected to the head unit if your head unit has the RCA's that are not right on the head unit its self 
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to take a shot at this one because it's most common in home audio gear.
Your main amplifier has a low quality DAC somewhere in the line with the internal gains set improperly. There's nothing you can do about it short of rebuilding your entire amp, or just replace it.
OR it could be something simple like you ran the RCA cables right next to the power cables.
Test the amp in another vehicle once. See if the humming is still there. If it is then it's my first suggestion. If it's not then it's your cabling
91rsliberty 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

change your rca's use the same earthing point for all amps, but this is kinda a kenwood amp thing they seem very sensitve to any noise in a system ( i have had a few kenwood amps withthe same thing)

try using a better earth on your deck or try a different deck in the car, i had that problem and changed decks and it fixed the problem, i think it was a rca earthing issue or output problem ....

zxti 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem. Try turning down the gain on your amp to the lowest position. Have someone slowly turn it up untill you start to hear noise. Then back it off a bit. Make sure to do this with the motor on. Mine is virtually silent now and the music is still nice and loud.
bodybuilder 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Alright. I yanked my 2 guage main +12 wire out and routed it completely away from my RCA cables.  Now the noise is completely gone and it sounds good! Thanks for the input! (pun intended)
Don't have a hero.
Look up to no one;
because if someone's leading the way, the best you'll ever be is second

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic