icon

Upgrade on new internals. Suggestions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, the time has come to upgrade the internals,   As we can get by with the set of alpine type R components up front and 5 1/4 co-ax's in the rear, it just isn't cutting it anymore.   
We power our internals off a diamond audio d5 600.4
75x4@4
I am probably going to look into a component set for both the front and rear, I am doing this beacause I want people in the rear to have the sound quality I have up front, I dont believe in Rear fill, I want full blown in the rear.   
eventually we will by amp each set of components front and rear with its own amp.
Also has anyone had any experience with the JVC KDAX1?
Its a in dash DVD player with a 3.5 inch screen on the face. Anyone?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Come on Jeff, you need to start listening to some components. I could rattle off so many brands, some with hard dome and others with soft dome tweeters.
Maybe a price range will narrow it down a little more.
If you really want to go the right way, look in to a high quality three way system, or a good 2 way system with a dedicated woofer.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
We are currently considering a 3 way system, but I am actually yet to hear one in effect.   I have installed front setups with dual speakers but it was mainly for looks.    As far as a price range I would like to stay withen $200-$300 a set, But If the price goes over and its worth it then I would consider it.
I just really feel that the Type R's are lacking in the Low end/Mid section.      Anthing below 150hz has to be set very low to keep them from distorting at High levels.
I am currently looking into some of the Adire Products, as I have not tried any yet, and heard nothing but good things about them.   
Another Note, I will not be going with a Hard dome tweeter again, I am not happy with the sound at all.   I think it would be best to find a soft dome tweeter 1", as we run them in a sail panel.
I dont care if name's match between the tweeter and Mid, but it would be nice.   Anyone who has tried the Adire stuff out let me know
2007 World Record
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  

kk listen, ur lookin at a price range of 200-300, why not treat urself with a pair of rainbow speakers, maybe Rainbow CS265.25 Germanium or the RE xxx 6.5 component set( heard that they have a nice bassy sound to em) these are pure quality and will spread themselves ova da whole range of sound. no problems. i got myself da slx series which r a little under these but they sound wicked, and im expecting that these will sound even better.

if u want a very high end set then there is nothing past MOREL. these r da best, period! but they r expensive

6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, Rainbows are nice.  Yes, Morel's are nice (although they are NOT necessarily "the best."  There is no such thing as the 'best" and I would put several comp sets in the same category as anything from Morel.)  But hey, Jeff said $200 to 300, not $600 to $1000.

For something in your price range, listen to some Diamond D660, Oz Matrix, MBQ PCE, Focal Polyglass, Infinity Kappa... I'm sure there are others that sound equally nice.  But like I tell everyone, listen and buy what sounds good to you.

Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
I wish it was that easy Dyohn.   In my area and even withen about 100 miles everyone carrys junk.    If I want crossfire components alright, or anything from best buy which they have declined greatly in carring top end equipment.    SO I guess I will have to make the 2 hour trip to KC one weekend and venture the shops there.   I really want to find something soon, gonna be taking a road trip in the next month and want to get them in before we leave
2007 World Record
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
OK Jeff, just because I lived in Cameron for a year and understand what it feels like to be in a place that considers Target "high-end shopping," I'll break my own advice and suggest you try THESE.  I found this deal Saturday and ordered a set for myself as I couldn't pass up the price.
Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
let me know when you try them out what you think of them..if you lived in cameron, where fo you live now?   I am up in good old maryville.     BIG CITY LIVIN   haha
2007 World Record
DYohn 
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

I was born in Hannibal, and moved to Cameron chasing a job for a year before I joined the Navy.  I've lived all over the US and in a couple of other countries, but been here in the SF Bay area of N. California now since '79.

CDT comps with the silk domes tend to have a pretty neutral high end and punchy midbass.  I intend to install these into my wife's car when they arrive, so I'll let you know what I think, for what that's worth!  :)

Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
that will work,     we are really looking for something that will.....I dont know how to describe it besides the fact I want them to be an all around really really nice speaker.       We intend to branch back in having video in this car again so having very smooth transitions and the ability to reproduce sounds evenly is about what were looking for.     I dont know if that really made sence Im kinda tired right now,    All I know is the Alpine Type R components just dont cut it in my book anymore
2007 World Record
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic