icon

Component vs 2 Way Speaker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

The FS60s are last years model. The new SL 60 replaces them. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?Productid=67&CategoryID=14

The component set has a better crossover then the coaxial speakers do. If you want to stick with boston these coaxials (SL65) have a built in crossover and would sound as good or better than the SL 60 component set. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?Productid=265&CategoryID=14

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm..

I dunno about the Boston componet sets and what not, but I will personnaly attest to the *outstanding* quality of the NX-series coaxials.   I installed a set of those in my friends Sentra and I kid you not they sound *as good* as my JL Audio VR-series componets getting 4x the power. 

Truly, outstanding speakers.  For the $100 they cost, I don't believe I've ever heard better. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

Naww.  Just cuz the hole is there doesn't mean it needs a speaker.  When car makers put speakers holes all over dashes and grills everywhere, its b/c it makes simplistic-minded car shoppers, with the typically stupid American attitude toward cars --> more is better.  They see grills and holes and a CD player AND cassette player in the same car it must be a great, high quality stereo right? 

Anywho, your dash is kinda a crappy place for tweeters anyway, trust me.  Makes 'em really bright and really contributes to nasty side-biasing. 

If you replace your front doors with the Bostons or any other premium coaxial (and those NX-series Bostons are absolutely awesome speakers) , just disconnect the dash tweet's and call it a day. It'll sound quite good, I promise.

Jmeese 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

Current set up is kenwood kpc-mp828 with 6 factory stock speaker.  I have decided to replace the 4 front cabin speakers with a pair of these boston acustics  Boston Acoustics NX67 6-1/2"

Speaker Specifications:  

Will disconnect the factory tweeters in the dash and add an amplifier (two channel) to the bostons.  What wattage amp should I be looking at?  160 per channel at 4 ohm?

My big question is what do I do with the rear door speakers.  Should I change them to 2 way coaxials or leave the stock speaker in?  If so what wattage speaker do I need to consider since they will be powered by the deck at 22 watt rms?  Will this sound bad when the music is cranked up?  Or does it make more sense to get a 4 channel amp and power all the speakers?  I have read some confliciting comments regarding rear speakers and there value

Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

How does this amp look for $99?

http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_3755.html

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
I am not a fan of Mobile Authority in general, but how do you want to use that amp?  If you set it up carefully and don't expect too much from it, it will work for a while.
Support the12volt.com
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
I am either going to run a 6.5 component set or 6.5 2 ways speakers from it.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
I cannot recomend MA amps for full-range speakers.  They can work for some subwoofer applications, but for mains they are entirely too noisy and prone to clipping.  Plus the power ratings they list are bogus.  I assume you are looking for a stereo amp... how much can you spend, maybe I can recomend something?
Support the12volt.com
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

Well let me ask you another question.  If I replace the front door speakers with the boston accustic nsx series which I have been told are very good, I would disconnect the dash tweeters that are stock and just run the bostons in the front cabin.  What should I do with the rear door speakers.  I have read some conflicting comments on rear speakers and what impact they have.   I could either leave stock or replace with another 2 way?  Should I leave them run from the hu or do I really need a 4 channel amp? 

In any event I'm looking to add an amp for max $130.  The boston nsx are $100 and the boston comonent set i was thinking about is $150.  I was trying to stay under 250.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  

Whoa Jmeese that's a *really* good plan on those cabin speakers.. where'd ya get that good advice?

Rear-speakers are *totally* a matter of personal taste.  Often, extreme sound-quality competetion vehicles only have front speakers... for a tonally perfect response, that setup is often the way to go.  Some *very* smart guys around here really prefer cars without any rearfill at all... it really helps bring out staging and imaging of a system and alot of incredibly good sounding cars forgo the rearfill completely.

*However* some people, myself included, really like a generous amount of rear-fill. From an objective standpoint, I find a generous dose of music from the back really helps even out some of the vicious side-biasing ever present in cars, increases overall volume, and certainly increases the listening enjoyment, albiet not by alot, for others in the car.  Subjectively, I'll tell ya, I hate cars without rear-speakers.  They always lack that immersive, 'listening-capsule' experience that only the best car stereos can give you.  Not only that, if you tilt your head even slightly to the side well driving, the sound goes all to shhh cuz it suddenly sounds like your listening to a set of headphones with only one earpiece working.  IMHO, car stereos are just that.. not a home stereo on wheels.. but kinda a different thing with masturbatory bass and immeserive, all encompassing sound.

I *despise* giving this advice out, but, the truth is, ya have to listen around and see whatcha like, eh?

*IF* you do want to get rear-speakers.. just get another set of the boston coaxials.  You *can* use deck power, but thats kinda an akward situation and far from ideal.  I can explain that to you later, but definately something you'd try and avoid eh?

Hehe.  Now, about that amp.

Ya know what a senior member saw a couple of days ago?

Check this out:

http://www.thezeb.com/p-USacoustics-USX-2050-2-Channel-Amplifier-105480.htm

I kid you not, I'm ordering one tommorow to work as.. you guessed it, my rear-fill amp.  (I'll have 195 watts/channel to dedicate to bi-amping my front speakers... I'm really excited!)

Order two and save on a badass 4-channel.  Those amps are gorgeous. 

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic