icon

Component vs 2 Way Speaker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jmeese 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

In regards to this amp.  It looks as if its 50 watt rms x 2.  If the bostons coaxials are 150 rms do I need a bigger amp to drive them?

Also if I put 2 of these amps in my vehicle am I going to have to upgrade batteries and alternators?  I don't want to get into that but I also dont want dimming lights and dash.

If I do put two amps in I have noticed dual amp wiring kits?  How do these work.  Is it one power cable coming from the battery being split into two lines with the dual fuse box?

How do you think putting a component set in the front and going with the boston coaxials in the rear would turn out?

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
In regards to this amp. It looks as if its 50 watt rms x 2. If the bostons coaxials are 150 rms do I need a bigger amp to drive them?
No. Coaxials will like 50watts just fine. I promise that those coaxials will like 50USAcoustic watts wayyy more than any amount of "power" from MA Audio. The Boston website lists 12 - 160watts for those speakers.. kinda a big range. That amp would be perfect for those speakers.
Also if I put 2 of these amps in my vehicle am I going to have to upgrade batteries and alternators? I don't want to get into that but I also dont want dimming lights and dash.
No those are small amps.. they are only fused for 15 amps.. thats quite conservative. You don't really get headlight dimming unless you install a subwoofer anyway.. and with only 200 watts or so go around you certainly are not going to have any power problems.
If I do put two amps in I have noticed dual amp wiring kits? How do these work. Is it one power cable coming from the battery being split into two lines with the dual fuse box?
Well there is prolly 3 dozen different ways to wire that off your battery.. but I would do this:
8 gauge power wire --> 50A fuse/ fuse holder--> 8 gauge power wire to amplifier installation area --> small power distribution block --> 8 or 10 or 12 gauge power wire to your amplifiers.
If I do put two amps in I have noticed dual amp wiring kits? How do these work. Is it one power cable coming from the battery being split into two lines with the dual fuse box?
I'm not really sure.. I always buy my amplifier installation stuff seperatly.. like you see above. I never mess around with kits.. post a link to what you've seen and we'll take a gander eh?
How do you think putting a component set in the front and going with the boston coaxials in the rear would turn out?
That setup would sound quite outstanding. The only reason I suggested that you stick with coaxials was more ease of installation, budget, and power constraints. If you plan on getting an amp, by all means, grab the componets instead. I would just encourage you to appreciate what can be a considerably more complex install.. especially as you mentioned in-dash tweeters.. replacing tweeters like that often involves removing the dash.. something I've never been keen on doing. If ya can do it, by all means, go for it. I know i cautioned you against dash mounting tweeters.. but honestly, having tweeters at ear level is not always a bad thing. If they sound harsh bouncing off your windshield like that you can usually eq that out or adjust the tweeter level down a bit.
Any more questions?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

Yes a couple more if you don't mind.  If I do the component set in the front cabin it will require 4 channels to amplify correct?  Is there any way to power all 6 speakers from the two 2 channel amps?

I think I am going to start with the component set up front with an amp.  My dash is really easy to get to the tweeters.  The dash is sperated into two parts and the part that houses the speakers just pops right off.  I am going to leave the rear stock for now.  I'm either going to get that us acoustics amp or a reconditioned 4 channel.

The boston component set I was looking at seems to be out of stock everywhere.  Can you recommend something around $125.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, all componet sets have something called a crossover.. its like a little box that splits up the signal for the tweeters and the midrange. You only need 2 channels to run a componet set b/c the crossover accepts the input from the amp, then splits off the signal into 4 discrete outputs, a Left and Right tweeter output, and a left and right midrange output. Crossover always come in pairs.. one for each channel.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/images/4x4/S60.JPG
That is the componet set ya want right? Ya see that little box on the left of the image. That's the crossover.
I'm either going to get that us acoustics amp or a reconditioned 4 channel.
Either way you'd be real happy. Did you see the 4-channel I posted to ur other thread?
The boston component set I was looking at seems to be out of stock everywhere. Can you recommend something around $125.
Hmm. If you could up that to $200 you'd find your choices much, much better. But here are some comp sets I found just poking about. If you have any more questions about anything.. including the speakers below..
I found ur Boston's:
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=2880
Another pair of Bostons that look nice.
http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_4284.html
Some other choices:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=13368
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=13850
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=13349
Keep in mind that at those price points you are buying from factory unauthorized sources... a good way to get cheap gear but it can leave ya in the dirt if something goes wrong. I mean, I'd order any of those speakers listed above.
My favorites are either the JL TR's or either pair of Boston's eh?
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I thought I had somewhat of an idea of how these worked buy now I am confused.  I thought when you amplified the component set the amp contains the crossovers?  Or are you bypassing the amp crossover in this install method?

If you are running two speakers off of each channel is the wattage then being cut in half?  i.e. I would be running the speakers each at 25 watt rms?  and is that enough power?  I want good loud sound.  I realize the bass will not be real kickin but it has to be better than my factory output.  I would like to gain some considerable volume.

Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I bought the 2 channel us acustics amp.  I hope it has enough power to drive the boston S60's.  I'm concerned that it won't

So when I wire these up I will have each channel of the amp powering one tweeter and one woofer.  So am I splitting the wattage to 25 watts to each speaker?

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Good call on the amp. I *just* ordered one myself for my rear-stage. I *swear* they will run those componets *just fine* if they don't I'll eat a foot of 2 gauge power wire and set u a pic okay?
Naww naww you worry to much. The wiring is easy!
Essentially, you wire your amp to the crossover that comes with the speaker, and then both speakers to the crossover. The crossover handles what speaker gets how much power. Don't worry about that.
The crossover on the amp controls *what* signal you send to your outboard crossover.. for splitting up amoung your midrange and tweeter. The crossover on the amp is ONLY for eliminating SUB-bass frequencies that would harm the midbass. The crossover on your amp will be a HighPass set to 80hz eh?
You don't have to set anything on the crossovers that come with your speakers okay? They run right out the box.
Have you ordered your componets yet?
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

I know I have read on this board over and over that you preach listening to product before you buy but can't you logically look at the mfgs specs and make some assumptions regarding speakers.  Granted the mfg is not overstating the specifications.

I'm comparing several component sets on frequency response ranges, sensitivity and wattage.  It appears that alpine has the widest frequency range would that not indicate all things being equal that you would get the widest range of sound from that speaker?

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
I really like this kid but I gotta go.. anyone else tell this guy about how to read manufacturer specs?
Real quick:
If you're looking at those componets I listed earlier, I've heard those Alpines several times... not bad at all for the money. Not the most detailed set.. but clean and loud eh? *any* of the speaker systems I listed earlier, will, I swear, sound almost identical to you.
They're all pretty neato. Personnally, I'd go with the Bostons or the JL's tho.
I'll get back to ya in depth later.
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

No I have not ordered the components yet becuase the one I really wanted is on back order.  The s60 boston is a little more than I wanted to spend but If I'm going to 150 I noticed an alpine and an mb quart that are at 149 also.

so needless to say I'm looking at those now to determine which one is the best buy?  And I am also having all of this stuff shipped to my employment so my wife does not divorce me when it shows up at home.

Once I start installing the amp I will need some help on adjusting it correctly.  I really have not idea of where to start.  I'm pretty sure I will get it wired and installed correctly.  I plan on running new speaker wire to the new componenets so that should not be that difficult to wire up. 

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic