icon

LED's on motorcycle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2_wheeled_slave 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
I thought I'd better delurk myself and register. I can say already, I have a lot to learn. And surprise, surprise, I have a question.
I'm looking to put some red LED's on my motorcycle, but I'm also want ot put some amber LED's very near the same location as the red. I want the red LEDs to turn off (both during the flash and the "down time") while the amber ones blink in conjunction with my turn signal. I would prefer that they don't flash back and forth between red and amber. I've thought that maybe a SPDT relay will work, but to be quite honost, I'm very green in this area so I really wouldn't know how to wire it up, nor if this would be the right relay for me. Thanks for any help you could give me!
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

Are the LED's you are getting made for 12v?

If not you need Resistors to cut the power down.

If they are you are all set. Just tie the Amber across the bulb wires on the blinker and the Red ones across the wires for the tail light

LED's are very low current.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
2_wheeled_slave 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2005 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I'm going to have to put resistors in there, much cheaper than buying the LEDs with resistors pre-installed. The thing is, I want the red LEDs for the vent in my motorcycle just for show, and I want amber LEDs in my vent that will work in conjunction with my signals.THis picture should help a little.
LED's on motorcycle -- posted image.
Now, this isn't my bike, but the lighting on the left is the vent light and I won't light my rear tire just yet. That's what I want mine to be like except in red. When I turn my signal on, I want the red (or blue in this picture) to turn off completely and let the amber flash. When the signal goes off, I'd like it to go back to red. Hope this helps.
I talked to a guy on the phone about it, he suggested a NC relay and then I talked to another guy and he said a SPDT relay. I don't know much about them. The first guy said it would be possible to get the amber to flash from bright to dark with it, and tried explaining how to wire it, but I wasn't completely following him. I think it would be fairly simple to get it to flash back and forth between amber and red, but I don't want any red in there while the signal is on.
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
you could... hmm. you could use a SPDT relay. hook the tail end accessory up to the relay so that the relay is constant on. Then hook up a signal wire from the tail lights that 'pulls' the relay away, breaking the circuit, and effectively turning off the tail end accessory while the turn signal is either position. A straight through wire would work fort eh front end, to let those LEDs blink with the turn lamps, as it were. i'd draw up a diagram, but i have crap for computer graphics programs...
maglin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2005 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
ok. i took a minute to sketch this up. Please. some one else check my work here.
the 112volts relay page (for reference)
each relay has numbers on the bottom, near the contacts, identifying them... look on that page for an example.
ok. with that said. you'll want a switch to disable the 'for show' or deal with cops. this switch will lead to the #30 connector on the relay. When the relay is off, there will be a circuit made to the #87a connector. From this connector, you run your affects. Meanwhile, to 'turn off' the circuit, you connect a signal wire from your turn signals to #85 connector, and conect the #86 connector to ground. This way, if you flip your turn signal switch, the relay pulls the switch open, effectively turning off the 'show affects'.
thanks for asking the question... it gives me some ideas of my own.
~~Vinn
Mayhem_audio 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.plasmaglow.com/index.asp?spage=psearch&pid=833059

http://www.plasmaglow.com/index.asp?spage=psearch&pid=1237277

i used this brand of led on all my motorcycle installs  the door handel kits work real well to hide under gas tank lip  about a 1/4" thick or less

LED's on motorcycle -- posted image.

matt
2_wheeled_slave 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks a lot, I'll give that a try and hopefully it works!
maglin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
well, let me know how it goes man.
2_wheeled_slave 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
I'll do that.
maglin