icon

Rca Output Voltages

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jmeese 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
How much of a difference is there between 1.5 volt out puts and 5 volt outputs.  Besides the obvious answer of 3.5 volts.  Will this be a noticable difference?
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Y es.  1 - your gains will be set lower.  More volts will send a stronger cleaner signal to your amp which in turn will create a better sound.   Case in point I used to have a Clarion HU with 2 v RCAs and I upgraded to Excelon 4v (nothing else changed) and I can tell the difference in the sound coming from my RF amp, it is cleaner more powerfull, and has richer tone.   First I was thinking the 24bit DAC had something to do with the rich sound but the Excelon sounded better than the Clarion even when listening to the radio where the DAC is not used (only used for CDs).
(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Cool, I'm glad I paid a little extra for the 5 volt outputs then.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

Jmeese wrote:
Cool, I'm glad I paid a little extra for the 5 volt outputs then.

A little extra?  What 5v pre-amps u have that are "a little extra" over an HU with 2v? 

Jmeese....

Sooo.. ehh...  what kinda stereo u running now anyway?  You really made me work a few days ago trying to pick out speakers eh?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

I got the kenwood kcp-Mp828.  I was considering lower units that had 1.5 volt rca's.  Kenwood had a couple lower models that it appeared the only difference was the number of rca outputs and the voltages.  The 828 has 3 outputs at 5 volt.

I did order the speakers and I should get them on the 12th.  I will probably intall either that night or the next.  I got an 8 guage amp kit and I'm thinking that maybe I should run 4 guage power wire instead just in case I add another 2 channel amp to my system.  I should have 4 gauge power with 8 guage running to the amp correct?

us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
Should've looked at KDC-X589 got mine for $160 shipped from e-bay (brand new in factory plastic).
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
I got mine for $259 including the wire harness and face plate for the vehicle.  Plus free shipping so I think I got a decent deal.  I think the 828 does everything the x589 does, maybe more color on the display and 5 volt pre outs instead of 4.  New in the box.
us_test 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah that Burr Brown 24 bit DAC is missing in action in the 828.  I looked at the 828 and it has more colors and G analyzer.  But to me the sound reproduction was more important and I chosse the 589.  Most of the time you'll only see the Burr Brown DAC in high-end Eclipse, Denon (and that Rcokford Fostgate $900 head unit Denon use to make for them), Clarion Pro units.  828 is nice and you got a nice deal, enjoy, I would've gotten it if it had the DAC.
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

I'm happy with it so far.  I hardwired my ipod to the aux in.  That was the main reason I upgraded.  I really did not have a need for the cd player but not a lot of options without.  Now I am adding a component set and an amp next week.  May look for a small sub after I hear how that sounds.  Learning as I go and doing the installs myself.

Who knows maybe I will open my own shop after this...hehehehehe

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

I dunno JMeese, it looks like you might have the beginnings of a mighty fine system.

I like ur Kenwood... I don't think you'd do better than 260 for 5v preouts.. 

Which speakers did you end up going with?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic