Paint Gun compatability

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sach_deva 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hey,
I was looking into buying a DeVilbiss Finishline 3 # FLG-643 HVLP paint gun (13 CFM @ 23 psi inlet) and I was wondering is it compatible with my Husky 5Hp peak 13 gallon compressor that pushes out 6.5 SCFM @40PSI and 5.1 SCFM@90PSI 125 MAX PSI. I also have a Wilkerson inline water filter/pressure regulator.
Thanks in advance!
Ricky
sach_deva 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Another site is saying the air consumption is 9 cfm at 30 psi inlet pressure
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
That is the same gun I personally own and I have rum it on smaller compressors. The trick is to paint very slow as to let the compressor fill. Also you will be running the gun at 30 p.s.i. inlet but will only be running a cap pressure of 5-15 p.s.i. depending on paint.
sach_deva 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
"Also you will be running the gun at 30 p.s.i. inlet but will only be running a cap pressure of 5-15 p.s.i. depending on paint."
Could you explain the difference between inlet and cap pressure. Secondly I have already purchased the gun, now I am looking to buy a Chicago Pneumatic 3" DA sander I was wondering would that be compatible?
Thanks,
Ricky
abovestock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
inlet is the pressure going into the gun, this is regulated at the compressor before it enters the line. At the gun you will need to install another regulator and keep this set at 15-20 psi. Then at the back of the gun there is another knob that you can adjust the pressure at for fine controll. As for the DA sander that is a no. The smallest you could get away with is a 60 gallon compressor. My best advice would be to return the DA and get an electric random orbital sander that takes round not square pads.
Wherm 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
I do autobody, auto paint, and custom car stereo installations. What you need to do for your spraygun is crank up the regulator on your air compressor, so you get maximum psi built up inside the tank. Then, if you have a Harbor Freight in your town go there and get a "Filter/Accumulator/Dryer" for your airhose. They work great and are only like 20-30 bucks. Otherwise, go somewhere in your town that would have that part. You will need it to filter out dirt, oil, and water that will build up in the hose and ultimately clog your gun and ruin your project. Once you have this part, mount it to the wall. Run a short length of hose from the air tank to the dryer unit. Buy a NEW airhose to go from the dryer to your spraygun, preferably one on a retracting reel. You'll want to get a pressure gauge for your spraygun, and that will allow you to adjust the pressure of your gun to the ideal pressure of 23 psi, or whatever they recommend for your spraygun. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
Wherm 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Here are some link to products I recommend. They are off the Harbor Freight website, I've personally used thes products and know that they work. Sometimes stuff you buy from this place is complete junk, and sometimes it's great. I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't work. Remember, if you don't have a harbor freight, you can go elsewhere and find an air filter/regulator/dryer. Here you go:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42035
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47035
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90590
buy these items, and some quick disconnect couplers like:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94024
You'll be ready to rock with that new spraygun. Nice choice by the way. Any more questions let me know.
sach_deva 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks!! I am glad that there is a forum like this where people can colabrate on information.
sach_deva 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hey abovestock,
I have already purchased a 5" disc electric random orbital sander. The problem is that the base of the sander is not made from foam but made of hard plastic that is not flexible. Would this not allow me to sand properly?
Ricky
abovestock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
That should be fine that is what I use all the time. All you need to do is hold it at different angles and on edege to get the shape you want.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic