icon

What was your first car stereo system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
I think my prize was my car not burning down...especially considering the wire was not fused and just wrapped around the battery terminal.
However if you still feel a prize is nessecary, a box of cookies will suffice.
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
*laughs*
91 geo storm - 40 dollar miejers stereo HU running to junkyard stolen Buick LeSabre 6x9s (the factory speakers were only 3 inch doodads all the way around) and i wired a pair of home stereo speakers still in their home stereo boxes in parrelel with the 'now upgraded' speakers ... duct taped it to the floor to keep it from moving.
i had the same problem with the HU so i used to wood wedges jammed into place to ... well... wedge the stereo in. lol. it was loud, obnoxious, i was 16 and therefore didn't care past that.
~~Vinn
*now 22 and much more the embarassed for admitting that*
black98GTP 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
my first system was in a 93 dodge shadow es it consisted of a sony cdplayer ($99) an American Legacy 800W amp( freebie) and 2 Sony10" P5's in 2 truck boxeswedged into the hatch
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

In my 86 BMW 528e (e = very slow) I had a clarion deck that died several times so I moved up to an Alpine cda-7983 I think. That was it for a while then, I borrowed subs and amp from a friend. Legacy amp w/ JBL's in a bandpass box. It wasn'y very loud. The RCA cables kinda ran through the car. 

I got a job at CC, got my MTX 1000d a couple of MTX 8000 series 12's for $50 a piece, blew 'em, screwed 'em, and tossed 'em. Then I proceeded to get some a/d/s gear from a local shop. A ph15 6 channel amp and some components. the AL4's up front and some AL5's in the back. Along with the a/d/s gear I bought a JL 12w0 in a JL ported box. Then another Alpine deck and amp were purchased since I handed the other alpine deck down to my ex girlfriend (doh!). The new deck was a cda-7977 and a alpine mrv-f407. It sounded like a tin can.

Beemer was donated after only utilizing 4-5 of the six cylinders and some body damage. I bought the 94 honda accord that I have today and pieced the current system in my sig together for it.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
In 1967, my white over blue 1955 Chevy Bel Air 2-door with under dash Craig 8-track added to the factory AM radio, factory in-dash speaker.  Single speaker.  I later upgraded the speaker to a set of Radio Shack 6X9's, one in the dash and one cut into the rear deck.  OOOOO, stereo!  8-track was cool when you hit a hard bump the deck would skip to a different track and change songs on you.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

Craig 8-tracks were a highly prized commodity in those days, huh DYohn?...not unusual to pay $120 for an 8-track, not installed of course.  I would guess the dollar outlay in today's numbers would be like $800!  It took 1 or 2 week's paychecks to pay for it (my first full-time summer job at age 13 in '68 got me $40 per week).  But the key to success with those 8-tracks was to have a book of matches available at all times, so when the music started to warble you could wedge that match book between the cartridge and the door opening and get it sounding right again.

But here was my first system:

What was your first car stereo system? - Page 3 -- posted image.

......cars didn't come with radios in 1928 so you had to add your own underdash AM!

......just kidding....

My first "system" that I thought was so good that I would park the car and sit in it until I fell asleep every night listening to it was in my first car, the first that I actually bought and wasn't borrowed from my brother.  It was '78 and the car was a '73 AMC Javelin, factory AM/FM radio and rear speakers only.  I traded out the radio for a Craig or Jensen (I don't remember which) radio with cassette, and put aftermarket speakers on the back shelf to replace the factorys.  They were in enclosures so they were meant to be mounted that way.  I don't remember what brand those were, either, but they were of equally high-end quality to the Jensen, for sure!  Those speakers were yelling "Steal me, steal me!" mounted up on the back shelf and sure enough they were ripped off.  I knew I should have glued razor blades onto them...

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, you're right, I forgot about the matches trick!  As I recall the Craig was a really high-ticket item and it took me a month to save up for it.  It was replaced a couple years later with a under-dash Pioneer (with Supertuner!) so I could add FM reception.
Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Man you guys have some dated material. Do you suppose I could some of your old gear at the local antique shop?
Masta N 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
'81 Mustang. The first system was my first and only Sony cassette deck, 2 Pioneer 3.5's in dash, 2 6x9's in rear deck. Head did not last long and was replaced by a pioneer KEH8100QR deck...with a wireless remote! The signal passed into a 9 band Pioneer eq, then to one of Pioneer's 3 way indash x-overs. Speakers were upgraded to 4 Coustic HT-606 6.5's in the rear, 2 AR GPS1701 tweeters in the rear and 2 Pyle 3.5 plate tweeters up front. For subs I had 2 Pyle 12's and an Atomic 15 in the rear seat mounted enclosure. For power I had 2 Alpine amps(cannot remember the model #'s one was 50x2 watts RMS, and the other 30x2 RMS) running the mids and highs. For the subs I had 2 Hoopers black box amps, 100x and 50x2. These were made by PPI and relabeled for Hoopers Audio and Video.
I still have fond memories...no front stage, no real clarity....but loud as all get out, especially for 1989.
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
94 ford ranger 2 mtx terminator 8s, rockwood amp, sony tape player, boston acoustics 5x7s
2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic