icon

Pictures of my project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Here are some pictures of my first fiberglass project.
Note I'm still on the bondo stage.
This is the first step. I used two layers of masking tape.
Pictures of my project -- posted image.
Here's another picture of it.
Partially glassed.
This is a picture of the corner that I cut out later on. I found that if I left it this way I would not be able to seperate the mold from the reproduction.
This is a picture of the 1x2s that I used to mount the wood speaker ring to. They are different heights so as to angle the driver slightly up and towards the cabin.
The fleece is on and resined.
This one best shows the overall form of the baffle(front). Note the white stuff is just fiberglass dust.
These are all the pictures I have right now. I'll take some more later
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Nice job, so far so good!
Im a fiberglass whore!!
1hot944 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Poormanq45 , I'm building a similar enclosure to yours and I'm at the fleece stage now. Question??What did you use to attach the fleece to the back of the fg piece?? I've heard some people talking about superglue or contact cement, I'm curious as to what you used. This is the first full fg piece I have done and usually just use my power staple gun for MDF pieces. I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks, and your project looks great so far!

In a world full of copycats, it's great to be an original!
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately I didn't have any hotglue around, well, I did but I couldn't find the gun.
So I used a very small amount of liquid nails. I applied it to ~8in at a time, then pulled the fleece tight and pressed it into the 'nails. I continued like that until the fleece was pulled tight all the way around.
One thing I forgot to do though was attach the fleece to the MDF ring. I just attached it to one side of the enclosure and pulled it tight. I may have been easier to attach it to the ring first.
Note: For removal of the liquid nails you'll need a grinder.
I personally would recommend that you do NOT use liquid nails though. It holds nicely, but it's too hard to get off.
I would recommend that you use silicone.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
It doesn't look like you used any fiberglass mat in the rear - did you?  If no, can you give me an idea of how the process works w/o using the mat - do you just add layers directly to the tape?  And how many layers ultimately did you use?
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
I just glassed right onto the tape.
First I like to apply the resin, then stick the mat to that then stab more resin into it. I think I did like 3 layers before I took it out of the trunk. Then I just kept adding layers until it passed the thumb test. Some areas took like 10 layers, others were good with 4 layers.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Damn.  You had me thinking it was possible to do that w/o any mat.  I've only done one easy FG project, the biggest challenge was working with the mat & corners.  After seeing your pics I was thinking how easy the sub box I'm going to start would be if I didn't have to deal with the mat!  I guess it's still doable that way, but presents a whole new set of problems.  I'll probably stick w/ the mat.

I'm really working with minimal instruction - can you (or anyone) direct me to any tutorials etc?  I haven't seen anything comprehensive in the forum, but could be missing it.  Sub box looks great so far, good luck with it. 

Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of problem are you having with the mat?
The thing I like best about it is that even if it folds over on itself that you can just add a bit more resin and stab it down. YOu can't do that with the weave stuff.
Try my method of applying resin the sticking th emat to that. You'll probably find it alot easier to work with sinse you won't have to hold it in place while you apply resin.
As for the tutorial: Just ask questions about what you'd like to know. Tha'ts the easiest way.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

You just answered the biggest.  I'll try the resin before mat trick. 

Here's one more - using the correct amount of MEKP to resin gives me a working time of about 4 minutes before I get clumps.  Partly due to dry Colorado air, I'm sure.  How can I stretch that time?  I'm thinking less MEKP, but not sure it will cure properly.

Next - now that I have sanded resin particles in a couple places on my skin itching like mad, how can I get it off?  Does it just go away?  Showering helped, but not completely.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
I just glassed right onto the tape.
First I like to apply the resin, then stick the mat to that then stab more resin into it. I think I did like 3 layers before I took it out of the trunk. Then I just kept adding layers until it passed the thumb test. Some areas took like 10 layers, others were good with 4 layers.

Wow, 10 layers?  I normally don't go above 5-6 layers of 1.5 oz mat.  One suggestion is to add ribs on the flat areas to give it strength.  I did this on my dash mold by taping down pieces of 16 awg wire like a # sign and fiberglassing over it.  This produced ribs in the mold that added strength.  Or on a larger project I made them out of wood and fiberglassed them in.   This technique should save you some money on fiberglass materials.  Here's a picture to give you a visual:

BTW, that enclosure looks great.  I can't wait to see it done.  How are you planning on finishing it?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic