icon

Pictures of my project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

Thinking this would be helpful to a lot of folks, I just made a new thread called "tips & tricks."  Anything else y'all want to add there would be great.  And thanks for the bit about strengthing ribs, that makes a lot of sense.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=59591&PN=1&tpn=1

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
steven wrote:
BTW, that enclosure looks great. I can't wait to see it done. How are you planning on finishing it?
I was originally planning on finishing it with an automotive Gloss black, but I talked to the customer(s) and they want it to be carpeted to match the trunk liner.
I think I miscounted the number of layers I used. It was probably closer to 5~7 layers on that bottom part where it's pretty much flat.
I like your idea of adding ribs. I'll try that next time.
Note that this is going to be reproduced and sold Pictures of my project - Page 2 -- posted image.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
Note: I'm still planning on finishing it with the automotive black just to see how good I can get it too look. That will also make it easier to release the reproduction(s) also.
I'll post more pictures probably tonight.
I just finished part of the bondo stage. I've got the bondo on and the shape made and rough sanded. Next I'll wet sand up to 800 then primer and wet sand again.
Also, unfortunately my MDF ring warped and I didn't notice it. So when I added 2~3 layers of fiberglass to it one section ended up about a 1/4in low. So I had to use bondo to fill and shape that. It sucked up quite a bit.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Update: Bondo is done. Three coats of primer on on and sanded. I may put on one more layer of primer before I paint it.
Pictures of my project - Page 2 -- posted image.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
update. I put the enclosure in the Q45 and installed a sub that I had lying around. I didn't actually hook it up as I was just seeing how it looks.
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
It looks like they need to worry about the car a little more before the sub, lol a busted ass speaker hanging down... rust, you may want to prime that to, lol! But looks good! Maybe add a little bit on the bottom left to make it have a snugger fit!
Duke Duke
racerx22 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
hhahahah nice speaker
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
duke wrote:
It looks like they need to worry about the car a little more before the sub, lol a busted ass speaker hanging down... rust, you may want to prime that to, lol! But looks good! Maybe add a little bit on the bottom left to make it have a snugger fit!
That's a bose amplifier hanging down there. It's fastened.
WHere do you see rust?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'd recommend more time spent on the body filler stage.  The surface doesn't look to be very smooth having those bumps in it.  What I recommend is using 36 grit paper till it's perfect.  You can use a palm sander, but I find that doing it by hand for the last bit just seems to work better as you have so much more control.  Anyway, durring the body filler step, you might not see those valleys and hills.  But they will show up once you paint them.  I find that the best way to find them is by closing my eyes, and running my hand over the surface.  You can feel them and know where you need to build up or take down more.  Once you have the shape perfect, then use 110 grit to get rid of any sanding marks, primer, then use 220 to sand that smooth.  A light mist of black spray paint on the primer will help you see where any remaining surface flaws are.  At least these are the tips that I've learned. 

Also, as a tip to get that snugger fit like what DukeDuke says, try taping off the area around the enclosures edge, and mixing up some fiberglass reinforced body filler like Duraglass.  Now apply it to the edge of the enclosure, making sure it fills all the way to the taped off carpet.  Do this with the whole enclosure and you will end up with something that molds perfectly in the vehicle.  Here's a picture of a couple projects where I did this:

That last picture I learned the hard way that Rage Gold doesn't work well in thin areas (you can see the chips).  That's why I suggest, and use Duraglass for thinner edge work.

Please forgive me if I am being overly critical.  But the people who you want to buy those pieces will be even more critical, and putting your best foot forward is always well worth it if you are planning on selling more of these.  Otherwise you are doing a fantastic job.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
THanks for the input everyone.
I think I screwed up on the bondo stage by starting at 120grit and going up from there. Liek you said, I should have started lower.
Anyways, this is just the first one. I'll copy it and then this particular one is getting carpeted. So that small gap will be filled with carpet.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic