icon

Buzz from Remote Lead

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Japsti3 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

Just installed 2 Kicker Amps and 12" Sub all the usual stuff, Problem I have is the Remote out lead on the Kenwood Double Din Head unit is DEAD.

So used the arntena lead out the back of the head unit, at switch one it all works GREAT -

Once the engine is switched on or at position 2 on the ignition even with the engin off there is a MASSIVE Buzz which when switched back to position one on the ignition, fades away.

Help Im stuck? The power is coming straight from battery and the earth is from the back of the motor.

I need to sort it soon.................. or I'll .........................

Cheers

Ray :-)

JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
What makes you think this is a remote wire problem??   It doesnt really sound like one to me.
'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
I'd check it by using the B+ on your amps as the remote - just link them together temporarily & disconnect your existing remote, see if the buzz goes away.  If no, the easiest fix you be use your existing remote to trigger a relay to power the remote to the gear.
JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

boulderguy:

How could the remote cause a buzzing??  I dont reacall ever hearing that before and I cant figure out electrically what would cause it.  Your solution makes sense but i dont really see what could cause it.. and if it still buzzes off the B+ then what would he use to power the relay??

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
JAydawg21 wrote:
boulderguy:

How could the remote cause a buzzing??  I dont reacall ever hearing that before and I cant figure out electrically what would cause it.  Your solution makes sense but i dont really see what could cause it.. and if it still buzzes off the B+ then what would he use to power the relay??

I've no idea what could be causing it w/o going thru the car itself.  Maybe the remote is carrying some kind of feedback  - who knows.  Thing is, in any car there are hundreds of things that could produce strange noises that can & will find the weak link in your system and burrow in.  The relay only helps if the buzzing IS from the remote (hopefully it won't follow thru the relay!).  Past that, he'll need an EE.

here's a thought:  you may want to look at the ground - "back of the motor" could have caused some issues.

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the antenna motor is putting noise thru you lines.
Paul
Japsti3 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

boulderguy wrote:
I'd check it by using the B+ on your amps as the remote - just link them together temporarily & disconnect your existing remote, see if the buzz goes away.  If no, the easiest fix you be use your existing remote to trigger a relay to power the remote to the gear.

Thanks for the quick responce folks but what do you mean "by using the B+ on the amp" what is the B+ just link them together" do you mean run a wire to link the live to the remote?

Japsti3 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

Oh and by the way I do not have an antena motor on at all so there is no problem there.

The other give away is the loud pop when i switch the system off.???

Getting worried nowBuzz from Remote Lead -- posted image.

JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

acctaully I am an EE, which is why I ask a lot of questions.  But your right, noise does find a way.

Japsti3:

The anntena remote should energize to acctuate the anttenna motor at the first switch position, same as the remote.  The only difference in the anntenna and the remote is some HU's will kill the annenna when the tuner isn't in use.  So I would doubt that the remote is the cause, but def. us the B+ as a test.  it acctually sounds like maybe you have RCA's or speaker wires are running along one of your cars stock high voltage wires.  When you turn your ingintion to the start position, it initiates a lot of systems like the vehicle's computer, ect..  Do the ussual, check your grounds, narrow it down to a system component like a cross-over or an EQ.  Good luck

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor
JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
sorry...B+ is the Battery +    its your amp power wire
'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor