icon

Passlock II Simple Fix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Joe Trinkley 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  

Is this You?   Get in your car....try to start it and find that the passlock II is screwed up again, you have to wait 10 minutes for it to reset.  When it resets it starts up and runs fine.

Fix-------Start the car, find the yellow wire that I'm sure you've read about, the rcode wire that is, and cut it.  Shut off the car and you're done! 

The rcode wire on my 2001 alero is behind and to the left of the radio, you must take out the radio.....the yellow wire accompanies two other wires, the white and black, the 3 wires are alone and run inside what appears to be a cheap electrical tape that will fall apart in your hand when you start tugging on it, they are very thin wires, maybe 18 to 22.  I taped off both ends of the yellow wire too.

Took me about 14 days to find this out and reading no exageration 1000 posts.  Forget all the relay, DEI and resister crap that I'm sure you've read about. All this writing assumes that this will continue to work.....i WILL be back here to post an update if it fails again.  If you have doubts of me coming back to update a failure you can email me at joetrinkley@aol.com to confirm continued success.

Thanks for all your replies in other threads and thanks most goes to the person who told me of this trick.

Joe

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

Thats a solution (a poor one at best) for a real problem. Its like a bandaid on a cut where stitches are needed.

The problem still exists.. You know how to fix it....but you don't know whats wrong.

Don't get me wrong, its good advise. But you still don't know what the real problem is? 

Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Thats a solution (a poor one at best) for a real problem. Its like a bandaid on a cut where stitches are needed.

The problem still exists.. You know how to fix it....but you don't know whats wrong.

Don't get me wrong, its good advise. But you still don't know what the real problem is? 

The problem lies with the lock cylinder, but not anymore.  There's no point in turning this into a relay/DEI/resistor thread, there's about 25 of them out there that lead you nowhere already.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

<<<<<The problem lies with the lock cylinder, but not anymore.  There's no point in turning this into a relay/DEI/resistor thread, there's about 25 of them out there that lead you nowhere already.>>>>>

Really makes sense to Defeat the Factory Security..........

Maybe if we all get together on this site, we can all have NO Factory Security on all the vehicles. 
Who knows, maybe we could post "How to Disable All Types of Alarms"

As you said KarTuneMan......"like a bandaid on a cut where stitches are needed." 

Some people have No true understanding of Mobile Electronics

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
never claimed to, just a fix guys, don't get all bent out of shape over this....anyways I hope someone can find this useful.  No reason for personal insults either.
Skunkpu 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Actually I would like to thank Joe Trinkley for this fix.  I have been struggling with this damn passlock issue for two+ years now.  For those of us that can't afford to pay $400 - $500 for the dealership to fix their faulty equipment, this is welcomed.  I certainly don't have the technical knowledge that most of you do to fix it on my own.  One last thing, if you guys are so passionate about fixing it rather than bypassing it, I welcome you to come over and fix my car for free.  I doubt you will.  Just my input.
Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

glad someone can find it useful, still works too. 

Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

My car does NOT have a remote start by the way, I got a PM from someone expressing concern for this fix if your car has a remote start.  

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Skunkpu wrote:
One last thing, if you guys are so passionate about fixing it rather than bypassing it, I welcome you to come over and fix my car for free.  I doubt you will.  Just my input.
I think the point is that the info Joe provided may help a few people that are having problems and can't spend the money to fix them. So thank you. But as installers, we'd rather see most people get the issue corrected to maintain the highest level of security and prevent theft. That is what most of do for a living, automotive security. We pride ourselves in doing our job correctly and doing quality work. It is just that though...a job. Why on earth would anyone want to fix someone's car for free?
Steve G
Skunkpu 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Of course.  Called Ancira Winton Chevrolet @ (210) 681-4900  and of course they deny that there is or ever was a problem.  As if myself,  along with many others, are making it up.  So, after fighting with them they tell me to call the GM CUSTOMER SERVICE @ 822-222-1020 and they of course deny ever hearing this problem.  Both told me they would not fix it for free nor at a reduced cost.  Joe Trinkley was mereley trying to help people help themselves and I just thought he got a little burned by the other two that commented.  Joe and I know what needs to be fixed, and it is exactly as he stated "lock cylinder" or ignition cylinder and no the dealership will not help.  It's not in their best interest to fix something for free even if it is a defective part.  They wouldn't even tell me what type of passlock system it has.  How's that for service?  I defend that you guys do this for a living and it's just a job, but please don't assume that people are just as better off in this world as you are.  And please don't cut someone down when they are just trying to help other people help themselves.  Trust me, if I and everyone else in this forum had the extra money to get THINGS  fixed properly by a certified tech, this forum wouldn't exist and I still wouldn't have this problem.  All I want to say.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic