icon

Where to find OEM speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bbusbee 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

Come on DYohn, I know what I'm looking at and I know whether it has a tweeter or anything else.  Yes the tweeters have a cross over built into them but I did not see one for the woofers.  The reason why I'm calling them woofers is because there are no other "woofers" or "mids" in the car, there is a set of 4" speakers in the back and that's it.  So the bass has to come from these two speakers up front that I have replaced. 

Assuming that there may be another crossover in the system somewhere is to assume that I have some bass speakers someplace, not so.  The idea of another crossover filtering out the lows going to the "mids" makes sense except for the fact that there are no other speakers anywhere.  This is why I don't think there are any more crossovers, which is why I thought that a more powerful speaker would be counter productive because of the low wattage output of the HU.  Is it not true that sound is caused by the cone moving and the more dramatic the movement of the cone the more bass that you hear with respect to the capability of the speaker?  I am assuming that higher wattage speakers have less movement at low wattages because they were built to handle more power.  Thus the reason why those aftermarket 60 watt minimum speakers don't create the bass response that the original 15 watt speakers did, less movement. 

DYohn, I have read many of your posts over this last couple of years and I have to give you the respect you deserve.  It ain't easy communicating through this medium.  Please let me know if I'm way off bass.  (No pun intended it just came out that way.)

Cheers

BBusbee

bbusbee 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn,

I checked out the speakers on the link you posted, are you telling me that the picture shown there is a full range speaker?  Is that want you meant by the tweeter being layered in? 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the speaker in that photo is a full-range.  I never said a tweeter was "layered in" to anything.  I said "layered on top of it" and I meant acousticly, not physically.  Most car audio systems (including coax setups) use a full-range speaker as a woofer and then add a tweeter somewhere (either as a coax or seperately as in your situation) with a HP capacitor for the tweet.  The woofer receives the full-range signal unless there is a seperate crossover for it.  It is possible your system has a crossover either in the HU or mounted somewhere under your dash and it is limiting the signal to the "woofer" in the OEM installation.  It does not assume anything, it is just a suggestion based on what I've seen many times before.  On the other hand it could be what I said earlier and the HU is simply EQ'd.  In any case, to return your system to the OEM setup, that Onkyo speaker will probably do the trick.  Or go buy factory replacements.
Support the12volt.com
bbusbee 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

But if there were a crossover in the HU or under the dash limiting the signal to the "woofer" then shouldn't there be another real woofer someplace for the lows?  Or would the crossover be used primarily to filter out the lowest notes going to the "woofer" to prevent damage? 

And by the way, I am going to try out those speakers at the website.

Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

This is not meant to be offensive, just an inquiry. Do you entirely understand what a crossover does? Because it sounds like you are confusing it with a capacitor that blocks low tones(bass blocker). I could be misreading some of this, but it looks like the confusion I'm seeing here...

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

bbusbee wrote:
But if there were a crossover in the HU or under the dash limiting the signal to the "woofer" then shouldn't there be another real woofer someplace for the lows?  Or would the crossover be used primarily to filter out the lowest notes going to the "woofer" to prevent damage? 

No, there does not need to be another speaker.

Oh, and Master A a "bass blocker" is a crossover.  Most bass-blockers and the capacitors used as HP filters for tweeters in a coaxial are 6db/octave (first order) crossovers.  Some are 2nd order (12db/oct.)

Support the12volt.com
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn knows what he's talking about. Why don't you get a nice new head unit and after market speakers all around front and back. What you thought sounded good before will be no where close to a good hu and speakers from the after market. If this is for your wife go ahead and spend some money and when she hears it you will be a hero.Where to find OEM speakers? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Big Dave
bbusbee 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

Yes your right, he does know his stuff, but that doesn't change the fact that I would be sleeping on the couch if I spent money on audio equipment where it's not wanted.  My wife priorities are different just as my priorities are different than hers and we have to repect that.  It's keeps the piece in the house.  Amen? 

DYohn,

Thanks for the articulate response to Master A, I was hoping you would address his concern because I don't have the audio experience to respond to him.

Cheers

DYohn 
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Let me know if those 75 cent speakers work out!  Cheers.
Support the12volt.com
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

Try going to an auto-parts store i just went to one to pick up an kit after we ran out and i saw that they were selling replacement speakers but not as good as a deal like those .75 ones.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic