icon

Molding in a Wide Body Kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turtleturtle 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering how to mold in a Wide Body Kit.  I already have the kit.  It was for a 1997 Eclipse, and looks like a NSX.  I am going to put it on an Avenger though.  I test fitted it yesterday and the door panels fit perfect, but the rear panel does not fit that well.  The panel is 3 inches shorter in width, but the height is perfect.  For the 3 inch gap, I was planning on using the wide body itself as a mold (with some help of foil) and mold the mold I made to the kit.

I was talking to a friend here that did his wide body on his Civic, and he said to:

1: Rivet it on (if fits okay).

2: Sand down the whole car after riveting it on because you don't want to waste time sanding down parts that are going to be covered by the wide body kit.

3: After sanding, fiberglass it on with 2-3 layers, and sand it down smooth.

4: Primimer and wetsand.

5: Paint.

Is this the correct method?

Here is a picture of the kit.  This kit is made to go on a car already with a full body kit, so that is why there is now bumpers or side skirts.

Molding in a Wide Body Kit -- posted image.

and the car it is going on:

Molding in a Wide Body Kit -- posted image.

"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?"
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone????
TheSaint421 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  

I hope you're not talking about moulding the kit to the car to fill all the seams that a regular kit would have, between the bumper and the fender for example.. if this is the case I hope the car will not be driven, but only loaded on a trailer and unloaded at the show, becaseu otherwise the kit will crack, right along where the seam would have been..... just a thought, if thats the direction you are going.

The Saint

Pioneer DEH P960MP
Eclipse EQ2102
Focal Utopia 165w3
JL 300/2
JL 10W6v2 (2)
JL Slash 500/1 (2)
Optima Yellowtop
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
TheSaint421 wrote:

I hope you're not talking about moulding the kit to the car to fill all the seams that a regular kit would have, between the bumper and the fender for example.. if this is the case I hope the car will not be driven, but only loaded on a trailer and unloaded at the show, becaseu otherwise the kit will crack, right along where the seam would have been..... just a thought, if thats the direction you are going.

The Saint

No, I was going for instructions.  And the person putting the kit on, has one on his car, and is a daily driver.  It is perfect, and has never cracked for the 3 years it has been on.

turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

Also, I have never heard of someone NOT molding in a wide body kit.  It would look stupid if it wasn't.

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
sup bro? so you finally got the kit in huh? That is going to look badass first of all. What I would do (and so far people really haven't given you any insight, so I can't be too wrong)is:
1. rivet the wide body kit on to the car.
2. use a block of foam (like you did for your sub enclosure) sand it down til it blends both the car and your wide body kit together; do this for both sides.
3. cover the mold with tape, aluminum foil, and release agent.
4. lay some glass on your mold (about 3 to 4 layers) be sure to lay some (about an inch) around the mold so you can secure it to the car.
5. trim it up
6. rivet it to the car
7. either glass or bodyfill teh seams left between the kit and your mold. (preferably a layer of glass then bodyfiller)
Let me know how it comes out bro.
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
I already paid for the JDM front bumper (I am going to do it piece by piece). The guy e-mailed me on monday and said that it was scheduled for shipping by either this wednesday or next wednesday...I don't really know which one. But, after he ships it he said normally about two weeks...so anywhere within the next three weeks it should be arriving. Any word from Trumotorsports about the Xterra hinges? probably not, I wrote a couple people on Cardomain and they were kinda interested. The only show I know of here in San Antonio is the "Triple X car show" this saturday; I ain't showin in it, but, I am going just so I can see the MTX Avalanche...that thing is SOOOOOOOOO bad ass. I think it was featured in last months Car Audio and Electronics (Either that or 'Truckin; I buy so many magazines it's hard to keep track)
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

2 weeks???  It took a shipping company to send on WIDE BODY KIT from Aug 5, and arrived on Aug 8.  Two business days.  My front bumper was 1 day, and my hood was 8 days (because it was damaged, and they sent another one).  Two weeks, something smells fishy....  I will be putting the door parts on TODAY!!  Molding in a Wide Body Kit -- posted image.

mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
2 weeks is good compared to the other ones on eBay. I paid $150.00 for shipping, I hope it will come earlier though. The other kits on there were like 150-200 dollars plus 180 for shipping. I got my JDM front bumper for the integra for only 9 dollars plus 150 for shipping...not too bad if you ask me. Probably smells fishy cause I just farted...no seriously though, you either pay cheaper prices and wait longer by using eBay; or you pay higher prices and choose when you want your shipping by using independent companies...know what I mean?
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?" Molding in a Wide Body Kit -- posted image. your turtle is dead.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic